General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pinon seal leakage is normal ? Thinking about a inland empire alum DS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinon seal leakage is normal ? Thinking about a inland empire alum DS

I had a leak coming from my rear end in my '98 camaro M6 soo i replaced the pionon seal, i was hoping i didnt need to install the bearing and race also because i heard you had to press that in which means i have to remove the rearend. Soo me and my friend installed the new seal and it's been sitting in my garage ever since (winter time) and i noticed it has been leaking alittle bit, soo far two boloni size puddles, i used a new pizza box to see if it was still leaking because i noticed a small puddle. I also filled the rearend up with fluid, could i have added to much fluid or is this the normal seal leakage ?

Also when i did the seal i replaced the u joints, they are upgraded joints from advance auto anyways i had trouble getting the old u joints out because of the plastic pins soo i took it over to a shop to have him slightly melt them with a torch( i know bad idea) and it put a small size dent near the u joints go in the driveshaft soo i'm thinking about getting a inland empire driveshaft ? When i bought the car is had a small vibration when i let off the gas and it still does even with the dent in the driveshaft its the same.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Launching!

bumpp
Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Launching!

bumpp
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

your pinion seal's not supposed to leak. it's been a while since i changed mine but i remember there are 2 different seals and you have to get the correct one. did the new seal look just like the old one? and your supposed to use a torch to melt out the pins that hold the factory u-joints in. that's the only way i've seen it done. i wouldn't worry about just a small ding in the drive shaft personally.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Launching!

I don't remember, i let my friend whos better with cars than me do it. It was easy to get at, we dropped the driveshaft at the back side and got the seal off.