General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tail lights, fog lights, and gauge lights out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Tail lights, fog lights, and gauge lights out?

So last night I was driving home from my brother's house and noticed my gauge lights were out. I tried turning headlights on/off, etc and nothing doing. Later I noticed that the orange light for my fog lights was off, even though the switch was in the "ON" position. When I got home I realized my fog lights weren't working, nor were my tail lights. However, my brake lights work just fine, as well as my turn signals. The dimmer wheel in the car will still turn on the interior lights as well.

My guess here is that the little unit that holds all of this is starting to go, as all of the problems I have are somehow linked to it. My headlights now close when going from the "ON" position to the parking light position or w/e it's called in the middle, leading me to believe that the function that position serves is totally moot right now. The fog lights and dimmer are also controlled by this unit.

Being as tail lights are a pretty big deal... Any help is welcome, and it's kinda urgent as I don't have another car to drive.

Anyone else had this problem before?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It wasn't the switch. I found three at the junkyard and they all give me the same results as the original. Plug maybe?
Old 03-10-2012, 03:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After pulling the front bumper to run down a short, we found it in a wire behind the radio that originally controlled the factory stereo lights. No idea why it's still plugged into the harness.

Quick Reply: Tail lights, fog lights, and gauge lights out?