General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car still rides like cr@p after new shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Car still rides like cr@p after new shocks

Car is a '02 camaro convertible with 96k miles on it.
It was my dd for last 5 years and roads here are terrible for any car.

So far the only thing I done is install Monroe shocks on stock springs (no budget for anything high end like Konis or even billesteins).

I want to rebuild my suspension ,so that the car doesn't feel like its going to fall apart into million pieces as soon as it hits smallest bumps.

I'm sick of babying it like if it was a 1930s classic but feels like a horse drawn carriage.

Balljoints don't squeak. Whats left besides bushings that I should look into?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you do all 4 corners?

Sway bar links?

Everything greased?

What wheels and tires you running?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert

So far the only thing I done is install Monroe shocks on stock springs (no budget for anything high end like Konis or even billesteins).

I want to rebuild my suspension ,so that the car doesn't feel like its going to fall apart into million pieces as soon as it hits smallest bumps.

I'm sick of babying it like if it was a 1930s classic but feels like a horse drawn carriage.

Mine was the same I just put new Monroe shocks and struts and things are good again. I did a complete Poly Bushing replacement about 2 yearsago and i love it, car drives like a slot car lol. Some here don't like poly but i Love mine just need to use a lot of grease on the install or they will squeak and make ya nuts. be prepared to have someone jump in and tell you need to replace all of your suspension parts with aftermarket stuff. Not a Bad idea but it gets quite costly when your upgrades cost more then the value of the car lol.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

With all due respect, you put crap shocks on your car and you still have a crap ride. Don't waste your time and money on replacing other suspension parts unless you have something obviously worn or broken. Spend the money where you should have in the first place - on good shocks. Bilsteins ... or a workable cost-savings option is Bilsteins up front and Tokico blues out back.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert

In my opinion if you put this car on really really bad roads, nothing will make it feel better. Though those Monroe's aren't helping you. I guess it all depends on what you consider good ride quality.

Also what size wheels and tires do you have? You could go down to a 16 inch wheel again, but that's kind of lame

So what does your car feel like that you don't like about it. Can you explain in more detail?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

i did bielsteins x4; they suk too.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bilstein shocks don't suck. You must have had unrealistic expectations. You can't make these cars ride like soft luxo-barges with off the shelf parts.

You especially aren't going to get a "good ride" driving over 3rd world country type roads in a sporty car if it has low profile tires and a fair amount of spring rate.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love my bilsteins on stock springs. Not sure what your expectations were but it was night and day after the swap for me.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
i did bielsteins x4; they suk too.
LMAO...I can't believe you said that.Now the suspension ****'s are going to get you. lol lol lol.

Seriously you need to check the bushings in your front control arms. They are some of the cheapest piece of crap I have ever seen. I just installed my Monroe's and I love them, I have Poly bushings I installed I think 2 years ago and my car rides Better than New. A shock is a shock, if your bushings are shot nothing will help.

OMG no now they are going to get me too. LOL LOL.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
Mine was the same I just put new Monroe shocks and struts and things are good again. I did a complete Poly Bushing replacement about 2 yearsago and i love it, car drives like a slot car lol. Some here don't like poly but i Love mine just need to use a lot of grease on the install or they will squeak and make ya nuts. be prepared to have someone jump in and tell you need to replace all of your suspension parts with aftermarket stuff. Not a Bad idea but it gets quite costly when your upgrades cost more then the value of the car lol.
LMAO...I can't believe you said that.Now the suspension ****'s are going to get you. lol lol lol.

Seriously you need to check the bushings in your front control arms. They are some of the cheapest piece of crap I have ever seen. I just installed my Monroe's and I love them, I have Poly bushings I installed I think 2 years ago and my car rides Better than New. A shock is a shock, if your bushings are shot nothing will help.

OMG no now they are going to get me too. LOL LOL.
You've got to be trolling, I hope you're really not that ignorant/naive to really think like this...
Old 03-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

My firebird road like **** i changed the springs and the shocks n still couldnt figure it out. Then i did lower controll arms and when i took them out the bushings were shot got new ones n it rides like new.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RevGTO
With all due respect, you put crap shocks on your car and you still have a crap ride. Don't waste your time and money on replacing other suspension parts unless you have something obviously worn or broken. Spend the money where you should have in the first place - on good shocks. Bilsteins ... or a workable cost-savings option is Bilsteins up front and Tokico blues out back.
Thanks for tip on bilsteins and tokico combo , and no offense taken.

It was 125 for all 4 shocks so I wasn't expecting no where quality bilsteins would provide. But I figured for the time being, It be somewhat improvement than the stock shocks with 96k miles on them mostly city driving with bad roads.

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
Did you do all 4 corners?

Sway bar links?
Everything greased?
What wheels and tires you running?
Yep, all 4 corners. I'm didn't install the shocks myself so I don't think bushings or w/e else is there was greased. Is there any other thing that needs greasing besides bushings? balljoints maybe?

Originally Posted by z28bryan

I guess it all depends on what you consider good ride quality.

Also what size wheels and tires do you have? You could go down to a 16 inch wheel again, but that's kind of lame

So what does your car feel like that you don't like about it. Can you explain in more detail?
I finally upgraded from the 16" snowflakes lol so never going back!

The wheels are Roh 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 , they are big wheels I know but the same loud thud was there with 16" wheels too.

I know these cars won't ever drive a lexus or even a pos corolla from 2002 but anytime the car drives over slightest bumps , it just sounds like everything upfront fell apart and is going to scatter all over the road.

Originally Posted by 96blkformula
My firebird road like **** i changed the springs and the shocks n still couldnt figure it out. Then i did lower controll arms and when i took them out the bushings were shot got new ones n it rides like new.
Maybe thats something to look into also but my problem is more when front wheels hit a bump thats 1" high and the car just sounds pots and pans are flying around.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You've got to be trolling, I hope you're really not that ignorant/naive to really think like this...
No I am not ignorant but some of YOU people are very arrogant. Its only your way.....a big load of crap you sell to people that don't know any better. My car rides Great and i did not spend thousands in aftermarket junk I did not need. Trolling....no I'm not fishing?? Jus don't buy some of the BS you guy's try to feed people.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No I am not ignorant but some of YOU people are very arrogant. Its only your way.....a big load of crap you sell to people that don't know any better.
Uhh pot meet kettle?
You are the one bad mouthing everything except monroes, making strait up false and outrageous claims with no experience with anything else, or a simple knowledge of how suspension works (like you don't want it to bind for example).

My car rides Great and i did not spend thousands in aftermarket junk I did not need.
Your car rides great compared to what? What performance cars have you driven hard, none the less driven or been in at all?
Some of us want out cars to ride well, and handle well. I will gladly spend a thousand on suspension for a firm yet smooth BMW-like ride quality and Z06-like handling (or better, last auto-x I did I was running with/beating C5 Z06's with my simple bolt in suspension and street tires.)
I've been in/driven cars like WRXs, BMW's, CTS-Vs, various Corvettes, I can compare how they ride/handle to my own, and Ill tell you that spending a little money on the right suspension parts is WELL worth it if you want to have a good handling and riding car.
Trolling....no I'm not fishing?? Jus don't buy some of the BS you guy's try to feed people.
Trolling as in being a troll...
What "BS" don't you "buy" and why?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

can you guys take your personal arguments outside of my thread about what else can I do to make the ride less clunky!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

What tires do you have on those 18s? Tires with stiff sidewalls are going to ride harder. Also, make sure your tire pressures aren't too high.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

I'd change bushing but do factory rubber. Not something hard that won't allow for travel. I have a clunking in my rear end when I go over bumps and ik it's the bushings but I'm just waiting until I buy new arms lol
Old 03-10-2012, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whats the condition of your bump stops?

Roads are so crappy that even a car with low miles can have issues so if yours has high miles it could me lots of things.

First thing I would do is go make sure everything is tight, actually try to tighten everything instead of visually inspecting it. Make sure swap bar links are tight/not broken. My stock links broke when I took them off, I hope someone didn't cobble your car back together.

I have the black Monroe shocks and my car rides great. No more issues with Michigan roads than any other car.

Any way you can just post some pics of the front suspension with the wheel off?

Quick Reply: Car still rides like cr@p after new shocks