General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

odd turn signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd turn signal problems

This morning I put in new sockets for the running/turn lights. Installation went fine and when I turned the key, only the driver side came on. Turn the switch to running lights and both are on, and headlights bright and dim both work. When I tried the blinkers on all settings neither front lights blink while my rears still work perfect. The indicators inside the cab work as if nothing is wrong (but they did this before the new sockets too).

Summery : front blinkers don't blink while rears do
With key on but switch off only driver side comes on, with the switch on both light up

Is this pointing toward a fuse or something? I have to admit, I haven't checked anything else as I work nights and its getting close to nap time. But any ideas for me to try tomorrow morning are welcome. After the fuses I am kind of lost on my own though.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Launching!

I did test the hazard switch and same thing. Key on, switch off, driver side blinks. With the switch on, nothing blinking in front.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Assuming everything was working correctly before you put in the new sockets I would check your wire splices to make sure everything is looking connected
Old 03-18-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

BTW, while on the blinker subject don't forget about changing out the often overlooked blinker housings...

Name:  photo-27.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  35.2 KB
Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Assuming everything was working correctly before you put in the new sockets I would check your wire splices to make sure everything is looking connected

Lol, that's the thing, I have never had front turn signals or running lights since I bought the car... I am not even sure if the guys who wired up the old sockets did it right (was a pretty ****-poor job) so I just followed how they were wired, A - brown, B - blue, G - black.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

then obviously its your connection.
if you've set them up correctly it shouldn't matter whether they worked before or not.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AmDWs6
then obviously its your connection.
if you've set them up correctly it shouldn't matter whether they worked before or not.

Unless something else had failed (switch or something in the dash) before I bought the car...

Looking for different components of the system to check, not just connections as everything is soldered and am pretty sure making good contact. Back to searching I guess. I did find a thread along time ago about a step-by-step of checking different components but having trouble finding it again...but that other members problem, the rears would stay solid so not sure if it would help anyway.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Launching!

I guess it is possible to assume that who ever rewired that sockets last time was completly incompetent and didn't even look where the wires went before cutting the old off...but nothing else is rigged like that on the whole car so I am thinking that isn't the problem.

From that other thread, I do remember something about a box behind the radio about the size of a cigarette box. Not totally sure on what it does though lol.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The box behind the radio is the DRL module. If it breaks it can screw up the turn signals as all that stuff passes through it.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
The box behind the radio is the DRL module. If it breaks it can screw up the turn signals as all that stuff passes through it.

Yup, I just searched "radio cigarette box" and found the thread I was looking for...weird what you have type in some times lol.

But yeah, when I get home gonna bust out the test light and check power at the blue wires and trace back to the module. I think I might look for my haynes manual and see if I can figure out if the previous owner had the wires going to the correct slots on the socket too...I would think that not a lot of anything would work up front if that was the case though.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All it would take is getting a ground wire flipped position with one of the others and it will still sort of work but not work right. Heck, GM in their brilliance totally screwed up the wiring in my 2002 trailblazer's front turn signal sockets, but their screwup still manages to work normally because of which two wires they flipped
Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Launching!

^^^some how that doesn't surprise me. The more experience some one gets under their belt working on odd things, you can't help but wonder "why?". Prime example - 4th gen TA drl/turn signal design.

Engineers anyhow...hmph
Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 NHRA
^^^some how that doesn't surprise me. The more experience some one gets under their belt working on odd things, you can't help but wonder "why?". Prime example - 4th gen TA drl/turn signal design.

Engineers anyhow...hmph
You gotta keep in mind that the electrical on a 2002 4th gen was designed in the 1980's for the 3rd gen! All that got carried over and the state of electrical engineering was a lot different back then. Dating myself here... It wasn't as easy to make printed circuit boards, etc. back then. So, a lot of the stuff is very "old school."

But, it sounds like you do have a bad DRL module. (If your sockets are wired correctly and your flashers are good.) If you end up replacing the DRL module, I'd be interested in acquiring to old/bad one from you so I can dissect it.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
You gotta keep in mind that the electrical on a 2002 4th gen was designed in the 1980's for the 3rd gen! All that got carried over and the state of electrical engineering was a lot different back then. Dating myself here... It wasn't as easy to make printed circuit boards, etc. back then. So, a lot of the stuff is very "old school."

But, it sounds like you do have a bad DRL module. (If your sockets are wired correctly and your flashers are good.) If you end up replacing the DRL module, I'd be interested in acquiring to old/bad one from you so I can dissect it.

That's cool, if I do end up replacing the module, you buy its bus ticket and its yours lol.

I didn't get to test anything yesterday since it was raining and with no garage, I wasn't feeling it...and now the weather says rain for most of he week. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Did you replace your module? Any update on this?

I have been having a similar issue, I ended up replacing both turn signal housings, both sockets, both bulbs, and the flasher.
I am still having odd behavior, both my DRL turn on when I first start the car up, but sometimes after i use the left turn signal the left DRL will stay off. I can turn on the parking lights and it will light up on the dimmer filament. Even weirder thing is that i can use the right turn singal and then sometimes the left DRL will come back on.
I am thinking my issue must be in the DRL module. I guess i will try replacing it, where would i get one? A junkyard? I guess i could try GM parts direct, anyone know the part number?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

They're a pain in the ***! I replaced both housings, one socket, both bulbs and when I turn the car on both turn on and work just fine except when I turn the headlights on one turns off. When I turn on the turn signal on the failing side it does flash just fine but won't stay on once the turn signal is off again.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by conde'strans
except when I turn the headlights on one turns off.
The DRL and flasher use one filament in the bulb. The parking lights use the other filament. When you turn on the parking lights, the DRL function turns off.

So, your parking filament is either burned out in that bulb or you have a wiring/socket problem.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DragonBlood
Did you replace your module? Any update on this?

I have been having a similar issue, I ended up replacing both turn signal housings, both sockets, both bulbs, and the flasher.
I am still having odd behavior, both my DRL turn on when I first start the car up, but sometimes after i use the left turn signal the left DRL will stay off. I can turn on the parking lights and it will light up on the dimmer filament. Even weirder thing is that i can use the right turn singal and then sometimes the left DRL will come back on.
I am thinking my issue must be in the DRL module. I guess i will try replacing it, where would i get one? A junkyard? I guess i could try GM parts direct, anyone know the part number?
Sounds like it might be your turn signal switch...if it isn't completely breaking the connection to the left signal it may send enough current to kill the DRL but not to cycle the flasher...when it does it, try moving the turn signal switch around a little and see if the DRL comes back on.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NY02ws6
Sounds like it might be your turn signal switch...if it isn't completely breaking the connection to the left signal it may send enough current to kill the DRL but not to cycle the flasher...when it does it, try moving the turn signal switch around a little and see if the DRL comes back on.

I hope that it is the turn signal switch, cause I found the part # (10407669) and GMpartsdirect wants $220.71 for the DRL module
F'n Sh#t!!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by DragonBlood
I hope that it is the turn signal switch, cause I found the part # (10407669) and GMpartsdirect wants $220.71 for the DRL module
F'n Sh#t!!
It sounds like the DRL to me. Try this:
- When its acting up, turn on the hazards and see what happens.

(If I recall correctly, the hazards go through the DRL module but not the turn signal switch.)

For what a module costs, I'd want to do some testing at the DRL module to see what's going on before plunking down the $$$ for a new one. (You might also have luck getting a used module.)

Quick Reply: odd turn signal problems