General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

drvr window motor? acting strange

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default drvr window motor? acting strange

I searched and searched, my 99 has been working fine until the other day (almost like a button was pushed) the driver speed went to about 50% of normal and seems to be growling? I found alot of "grinding" complaints but its not that pronounced(like the gear to regulator is skipping) it ocasionally will quit moving too, so I'm worried one day it wont go up. I feel like the motor is on its way south but after reading all the suggestions about soldering to bypass the thermal dohickey I thought I'd ask up what Y'all thought? Thanks
Old 03-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by zman1969
I searched and searched, my 99 has been working fine until the other day (almost like a button was pushed) the driver speed went to about 50% of normal and seems to be growling? I found alot of "grinding" complaints but its not that pronounced(like the gear to regulator is skipping)
You need to answer this first by taking the door panel off and examining the engagement of the motor to the regulator. Dying motors don't generally make noises.

after reading all the suggestions about soldering to bypass the thermal dohickey I thought I'd ask up what Y'all thought?
This is never a good idea. The thermal dohickey was put there for a very good reason. (To protect the fragile fiberglass door from being ripped apart by the motor.) Its a cheap modification that will just lead to outrageously expensive repairs in the future. Also, opening the motor compromises the already poor seals and will lead to more contamination. A lifetime Dorman motor is a great reasonably expenisve way to solve all of the motor's shortcomings.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kinda sounds like the same probem I was having . Mine ended up being a stripped gear inside the motor , it was working fine til one day I was putting it up and it stopped going up then would go up a little more.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
You need to answer this first by taking the door panel off and examining the engagement of the motor to the regulator. Dying motors don't generally make noises.

This is never a good idea. The thermal dohickey was put there for a very good reason. (To protect the fragile fiberglass door from being ripped apart by the motor.) Its a cheap modification that will just lead to outrageously expensive repairs in the future. Also, opening the motor compromises the already poor seals and will lead to more contamination. A lifetime Dorman motor is a great reasonably expenisve way to solve all of the motor's shortcomings.
I wasnt suggesting trying that, its just some of the stuff I read up on. I guess its not grinding but it feels "rougher" than the motor normally feels when its working correctly and its going alot slower than normal and it was an all of sudden this started not a progressively worsening issue - one minute it was fine then - hey whats all this then? ive had this car for 7-8 years and never any window issues till now but IIRC the orig owner had installed new motors. I know somethings not right and wanted to find out before installing a new motor and that isnt the problem, ususally either motors work or dont, this one acts like its on its last leg
Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my driver side window Motor with a dorman and it didn't fit as nicely as the original and now I get a bit of a clunk as I roll the window up about halfway through the travel. Not sure why but ill have to investigate. Otherwise the window works great now... as great as it can anyway, these windows are complete **** whoever designed them must have been retarded.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Save the manuals!

ive had this car for 7-8 years and never any window issues till now
You could very well be the luckiest F-Body owner in the world!

I know somethings not right and wanted to find out before installing a new motor and that isnt the problem, ususally either motors work or dont, this one acts like its on its last leg
Those motors the last owner replaced could be coming loose. Or it could be a bad motor, or something could be stripped... Regardless, you'll have to take the door panel off and investigate further before you can decide on a course of action.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WSSIX99, I had seen you had lots of input on window issues so I will take it my deal is not a common problem(I rarely have easy problems) I do have an issue when they would both windows would quit and radio would die and through searching found thes a BCM issue, but found when that happens I can hit the unlock and all would start working again. So I have yet to deal with that I also found when my headlight gear stripped that I found all the other strange things that occur due to that. this board has been great in helping out our fellow car guys! Like I said I searched and searched and didnt find anyone else that had the same issue as I am
Old 03-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Save the manuals!

WSSIX99, I had seen you had lots of input on window issues so I will take it my deal is not a common problem(I rarely have easy problems) I do have an issue when they would both windows would quit and radio would die and through searching found thes a BCM issue, but found when that happens I can hit the unlock and all would start working again. So I have yet to deal with that I also found when my headlight gear stripped that I found all the other strange things that occur due to that. this board has been great in helping out our fellow car guys! Like I said I searched and searched and didnt find anyone else that had the same issue as I am
Yea, when it rains, it pours. Things get confusing when you have more than one problem at once. (Like the grind + the BCM issue.) This board saved my car.

I had a dirty MAF issue that was so bad, I was about to drive my car off a cliff. This site has been able to help me keep up with the little quirks.

With a network of people having similar issues, I really don't stress about this stuff too much. If anything, I feel more confident in the car's design and engineering. Most of these little problems happen to us consistently. If they were more random, I'd be more worried.

Quick Reply: drvr window motor? acting strange