General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator replaced, still not charging and power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator replaced, still not charging and power steering leak

I have a 2002 camaro z28 and my power steering was leaking until my alternator went out. Took it to a mechanic replaced the alternator and power steering pump. When I get it back my voltage is at 13.5, as I drive home I notice my voltage decrease to 9 v so I park my car and 20 minutes later I drive the car and on my way back home my voltage hits the red line so as I'm getting home my gauges go down and the car almost died plus I still have a leak pretty sure it's still power steering fluid... Any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Rockstar

Replace them both again and check for leaks and that your fittings are tight.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I would suggest taking it back to the place that tried to fix it. You should have some kind of warranty if the work was just done. No point in paying to replace parts that you just paid to replace.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Looking in to my crystal ball... I see a re-manufactured alternator. I also see a a power steering system that wasn't flushed when the pump was replaced...

Am I right?

Very common problems with a reman alt. and a lot of power steering "leaks" are actually the fluid boiling over in the tank. This problem will occur more frequently with dirty fluid.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 PM

I think it was a new one man and no the power steering was completely empty man I took it back to the "mechanic" and he says he will put another alternator because I have warranty. Hopefully if I get another it doesn't do the same thing. As for my power steering he said I need a new resivoir which I couldn't find but I don't know if this guy is capable of fully fixing it
Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodric789
I think it was a new one man and no the power steering was completely empty man I took it back to the "mechanic" and he says he will put another alternator because I have warranty.
Were they a big name shop? Another common pitfall is breaking the exciter wire. If they did that, then no alternator will work properly.

Originally Posted by Rodric789
Hopefully if I get another it doesn't do the same thing. As for my power steering he said I need a new resivoir which I couldn't find but I don't know if this guy is capable of fully fixing it
Ah. That's not a leak - its a gusher! You might ask him if he put a new seal in between the reservoir and the pump. (Maybe not, because they are hard to find.) If he didn't, it will drain fluid like crazy.

Quick Reply: Alternator replaced, still not charging and power steering leak