General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No tach? Just the tach, all other gauges work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default No tach? Just the tach, all other gauges work?

Did a few things to my car and now the tach decided to quit working? Funny thing is with HPtuners hooked up it's getting a tach signal in the scanner. Also, the tach will bounce when it first starts like it's bout to work, but just falls back to 0.

The way I see it is if HPtuners is getting a signal, I'm pretty sure that the cluster is also receiving the signal. Just seems weird to me that it just decided to quit working. Are the stepper motors in the F-bodies as bad as the trucks?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just bought 7 steppers for an 06 sierra i just bought.
the place i got them from was http://gm-stepper-motors.weebly.com/
the stepper motor recall was for 2003-2006 and f-bodies were not included. but the problem sounds like it could be a bad stepper motor. with everything off and quiet, door closed, turn ignition key to run and have your ear as close to instrument panel cluster (IPC) as possible. do you hear any spin up noise? if so that's indicative of potentially bad/failing steppers. The tach stepper on my truck is very noisy, and the noise changes as rpms change but seems to work fine. good news is you can get one stepper for around $10 from amazon, but make sure it's the updated stepper model.
I think the tach signal to the IPC is part of the class 2 data stream, meaning just the tach signal cannot go out or it's not one tach wire one the connector at the back of the IPC. I think the data for the tach, speedo, temp, oil, all come from the PCM over a few wires as a data stream, but i could be wrong. If the work you did was nowhere near the IPC and the wiring associated with that, then it sounds like a bad stepper which can be replaced. worst case is it's something other than the stepper in the IPC so you would probably need a new IPC
Old 04-03-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Luckily I have another cluster I can use for time being.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The fbodies don't use the same stepper motors like the trucks do. Actually I read on here that they are some sort of air core motor or something like that. Not sure how they work exactly. I want to say the clusters operate quite a bit differently from the trucks as well as far as input signals go, but I can't be sure on that.

My Trailblazer has noisy steppers in it, has been that way since I got it, but everything still works at 157k miles so I just ignore them lol. When one does finally quit I'll replace them all.

Quick Reply: No tach? Just the tach, all other gauges work?