General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dipstick tube broke

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dipstick tube broke

So... Was putting my Lokar dipstick tube back in the block the other day and managed to break off the part that goes inside the block. Yeah... it fell right into the pan. Unfortunately, it's aluminum so I can't find it with a magnet. Tried feeling around inside the pan with a wire and I could hear it roll to the driver's side of the pan, but it must have gotten stuck somewhere because it's not rolling anywhere now no matter what I do. Tried blowing some compressed air into the pan through the dipstick tube. Tried pouring a quart of oil into the pan and drained it to see if it would move. Nothing...
I really don't want to drop the pan as it's an absolute pain in the *** with these cars. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe get one of those wires with a claw on the end. That, or bite the bullet and drop the pan.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

That would be perfect if I had an idea of where it was. I was actually thinking last night and I have access to an endoscopic type camera with an LED light on it. Hopefully it's small enough to fit into the drain plug hole but that along with a small wire might be able to get the job done. I'll update and let people know how it works out.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

go in through the oil plug if you have too.