General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2002 Camaro LS1 leaking Need suggestions

Old 05-04-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro LS1 leaking Need suggestions

I have had several LS1 cars through the years but never any with a leak until now. I recently purchased a 2002 SS Convertible with an automatic. After driving the car a short distance I noticed oil drips coming from in between the oil pan and transmission. The car has only 80,000 miles on it. I decided to tear into it a couple weeks ago. I ended up replacing the rear main, rear cover, oil pan, valley cover, intake gaskets. I also replace the knock sensor seal and the oil pressure sender.
I thoroughly cleaned everything while I had the engine out so there is no chance of of residual oil, but I still have a leak. Does not seem to be as bad but it is still enough to get the front lip of the transmission wet at the bottom.
I have seen several threads about the freeze plug in the crank leaking but that only seems to leak on car that are manuals and damaged while removing the pilot bearing. Could this be a problem with automatics?

I did not put any sealant on the fly wheel bolts, should have I? Did not appear there had ever been anything on them.

The only other thing I could think of is the Cam sensor o-ring but what are the chances of that being bad?

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what you wrote, you seem to be a lot more knowledgeable about this than I am. However, I can offer this one word of advice: find the leak while it's still clean. If you keep driving it, the oil will just get everywhere again and you'll have much less of a chance of locating the source. Hopefully you don't have to pull the engine+trans again, but you can also look at it this way: if you find it now, you won't have to clean it again and pull in a third time after to locate the leak.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I found that it's important to get the right torque on the bolts that go from the pan into the rear cover, otherwise it can leak, worth checking anyway.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

I broke a long bolt that goes from the back of the pan to the rear cover and i wasn't even close to 18 ft lbs. The seal on your rear cover usually sticks down past the surface of the bottom of the block and the bottom of your rear cover. you are suppose to put a gob a sealant around the four corners where your front and rear cover meets the bottom of the block. could be there. the freeze plug in the back of the crank is worth a check. get a bearing puller for this job. the old grease dowl trick knocked mine lose and i shot a tube of grease into the back of the crank. the freeze plug is .25c at your local farm supply
Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oil dipstick tube?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by T-56SLPSS
I broke a long bolt that goes from the back of the pan to the rear cover and i wasn't even close to 18 ft lbs.
It's supposed to be 106 inch/lbs on those.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

your susposed to align the rear cover also and how did you install rear main there is a special installation tool and agree with previosu statements find the source before it gets worse and was the front pump leaking in the transmission did you remove torque converter are you sure its oil and not atf

Search this Thread