General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator squeak

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 02:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator squeak

Ok we all know the crazy problems with the mysterious squealing under the hood of our cars, but I have been successful in finding the location of my evil hiss sound. After using the stethoscope and shooting pulleys with brake cleaner I have located my hiss noise to my alternator pulley. Could the hiss sound be an indication that my alternator is going?? How do i rid the noise? I know that you cant change the bearing.. So will I have to get a new one??

thanks for any help
Old 05-27-2012, 04:03 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just replace the alternator. I just replaced mine the other day because it died and I spun the pulley to see how it sounded and it was making a nice ticking noise. If you're on your original alternator, you're just better off getting a new one. The pulley on the Camaro I had before this made an even bigger racket when I spun the pulley by hand when I replaced that a couple years ago.

Word of advice too, unplug the exciter wire before anything else, and when you remove the alternator bolts, all 3, do yourself a HUGE favor and remove the one remaining bolt holding the bracket to the block. It's recessed right near the idler. You'll find the alternator is WORLDS easier to remove and reinstall. Otherwise you'll likely be in for a nightmare of wiggling, twisting, pulling, cursing, etc.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

^^^ Great advice above.

The sound could also be a bad pulley, although I'd think it more rare with the metal pulley on the alternator. The good news is a new alternator will also come with a new pulley.

BTW - You can change the bearing, but you'll need to take the whole thing apart and use a hydraulic press to do it. You may be able to find a shop that can do this, but... it could also be the pulley.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

pulley? with no bearings in it to wear out?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
pulley? with no bearings in it to wear out?
If it dings or chips, it could make noise. Sounds like the OP was lubricating the pulley to isolate pulley noise.

Quick Reply: Alternator squeak