General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone run into this problem with their truck starter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone run into this problem with their truck starter?

I have had this problem happen to me one time last year. I turn my car off after a bit of driving, do what I have to do for a few mins, then go back to fire it up and all I get is 2 clicks from the starter and that's it. At first I thought the battery was dead but I was in the park and decided to just turn the key a few more times ans see if anything would happen. I turned the key about 20 times and then finally the car fired up. That was the only incident last year. This year since I pulled it from storage 2 days ago, it has happened to me 3 times. Only get those 2 clicks then silence. Takes a few times turning the key all the way for it to work, sometimes only 1 extra attempt.

I changed over to a brand new Bosch 6.0l truck starter maybe 2 years ago so it only has maybe 3000 miles on it, out of warranty of course. This happens after the car is hot, or completely stone cold so heat is not an issue. This has also happened to me 1 time in my '06 Silverado 6.0 with it's original starter.

A while back I did some research and only found 1 post on here about a similar problem. Someone wrote that from the factory, the starter is not lubed up enough and it sticks. I tore my new 6.0 Bosch starter completely apart and greased everything, noticed the solenoid wire had some corrosion so I addressed that problem to. Thought I may have fixed the problem, but it happen to me 2 times today.

My original '98 starter always worked like a champ and I still have it. From what I can tell, the solenoid is exactly the same on both so I was thinking that I may swap solenoids on my starters and see if the problem is still there. I was also told that it may be the ignition switch but I haven't found anything on that either. Kinda stumped. All connections are great. Relay seems fine. Anyone ever run into this or have any ideas? I will try anything because I don't want to be stranded.

I appriciate any help

-mark jr.

update**

Ijust tried to start the car this morning to move it and the same problem occured. Turn the key to run and get 1 click, then turn the key back and get the click where it would dissengage. I tried it again and turned the key to run and got the click but this time I just held the key in the run position for a long time while I was swearing at the starter and then it fired up. So it seems to have a problem spinning for some reason. Everything moved freely with 0 bind when I tore it down.

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 05-29-2012 at 09:10 AM.