General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

something a miss between battery and positive connection

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default something a miss between battery and positive connection

alrighty so yesterday i go to show off my car to some old high school friends, get in to start it, and everything is dead. long story short, one of my friends fathers used to be a mechanic and said they the bolt in the positive terminal is too big, stripped out the internal threads in the battery, and ate them away. and thats why it wasnt firing. today i took it apart and noticed a lot of corrosion, i took 90% of the corrosion off with a wire brush (took the rubber boot off to clean it) i put it back on and fired the car no problem. also in case it matters, i have a sound system in my car also, so the order goes battery, positive connection with boot, amp power wire, then bolt. in order to start the car i have to hold the positive connection a certain way for everything to get power and have someone else start the car while i hold it in place. then its fine after that while i drive. also something funny i noticed is that since i had this problem yesterday when i pop the car into neutral while driving the rpm's will drop to about 500-600 and then fluctuate between that and about 1000. the longer i drove the less this would happen (although im only off two trips which i did today and the one last night.) something thats happened since ive owned the car (last august)is when i pop the car into neuatral the car will rev up to anywhere between 1400 to about 1900 rpms. eventually it will stop and idle normally. it only does this while im driving tho, not when i first start the car.

so does this sound like i need a new battery (which is what my friends father said)

or something else?

thank you guys
Old 06-18-2012, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no thoughts? come on now