General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help identifying connector and where it goes..

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying connector and where it goes..

I had to replace my knock sensors and did so following a thread on here. Great write up btw. Anyways, I ended up having to replace a few unexpected parts which has drug this out a couple days. Im ready to get the intake back on the block and put everything together but I have an issue... I cant remember, or even find for that matter, where this one connector goes. I know its not the one that plugs into the back of the intake along with the vacuum lines, but I can not find anything I think it plugs into. It branches off the wiring harness near the back of the block and only has a couple inches to work with. Its a two prong clip, heres a pic.. If anyone can tell me what it is or where it plugs in I would really appreciate it.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Either for the MAP sensor on the back of the intake or that diaphragm looking thing in the picture that rides on the back of the intake on later cars.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the reply, however I do have to apologize for being a noob. Im not familiar with what everything is and/or does. I do know each plug is specific in trim so it only fits together with one other piece without modifying. Im going to post pics and maybe it will help someone figure this out with me.

First, here is the back of the intake.. One connection and 2 vacuum lines..

Here are the two plugs in the back, the three prong on the left is the one that plugs to the back of the intake. The other two prong one is the one left unknown..

Now if you were referring to one of these 2, the ones specific to those are in the picture below. Checked the way the plug was cut to verify that I was correct and I was.

And last pic shows the only two other plugs I can see/feel on or around the back of the block and intake.. Both which are plugged in. I know the one on the right is my Duralast Oil Pressure Switch I replaced yesterday after breaking it. The one on the left Im not sure what it is exactly but it has remained plugged in the entire time..

Ive wracked my brain and cut my arms up trying to figure out what it is and where it goes and I still have yet to come up with/find something. Thanks for any help guys I appreciate it. I want this beast running again! Lol
Old 06-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

The white, two pin connector goes to either the connector on the firewall side of the fuel line (to the right in your image), or on the side of the brake master cylinder.

The red, two pin goes to the evap solenoid (to the left in the same image).

The plug in this picture may go to the side of your brake master cylinder...is there an unplugged connector there?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Teching In

As far as the brake master cylinder, that plug is on the side nearest the fender.. Is this the one your referring to?

There is not one on this side of it, nor anything else around this area as far as i can see and feel..

And this is to show you how small the branch off the harness is.. maybe 4-5in so it cant go very far from where it is sitting at now..
Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats your main connector for your knock sensor harness.

the knock sensors have their own harness, and that connector connects them to the main wire harness
Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Teching In

I do not think it has to do with the knock sensor harness. The harness connected to the sensors runs to the front of the block and down. We never unhooked the harness, just took out the sensors and replaced them. The unknown plug is at the back of the block, opposite of how the knock sensor harness runs..

Last edited by KadeP08; 06-20-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

uhm, you might wanna re-check that, every ls1 ive seen the knock sensor harness runs to the back of the engine, and connects to the lightblue/dark blue wires on that connector.

trust me, your knock sensor harness is plugged in somewhere else it should not be, and that is the connector for said harness.id be willing to be thats why you had knock sensor codes, because the harness was'nt connected to the correct circuit.

this pic, the arrow points to the front of the engine, with the harness heading towards the rear..

Last edited by JaYZeig; 06-20-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Teching In

You are right sir, I really appreciate that. It was caught under something in the front so it seemed as if it was plugged in but it actually wasnt. I had went to the store and a buddy of mine and my father actually got the intake off. They cant remember if it was like that when they pulled it off or if one of them had moved it. We are thinking it has been like that since I got the car back in January. But thanks again! We were getting quite frustrated trying to figure this out. Now I can actually get this beast running again
Old 06-20-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no problem man, glad to help
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Good catch man. It has been a while since I worked on one of these cars and totally forgot about the KS harness. Nice job JaYZeig