General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Yellow or Red Top Optima battery?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow or Red Top Optima battery?

I am moving my battery behind the passenger seat. What battery would be better for me? The Red or Yellow Optima? The red is a high performance starting battery and the yellow is a deep cycle battery. I won't be using a bunch of stereo stuff that will draw alot of voltage when the car is running. OH yeah, car is a 01 Formula. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:21 PM
...with cheese.

Red will do everything you need and more.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're set on an Optima go with the red top. I never had any luck with any of the Optima's. They always lasted about 3 1/2-4 years- just until they were out of warranty. They're not pro rated either.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Optimas are Mexican crap and have been for a while. I wouldnt waste the money. Ive had great luck with duralast gold series. Great warranty and performance.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Launching!

I have a red top on my 98 Camaro and a yellow top on my 02 Yukon and both have been great with zero issues. Can't go wrong with either one.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Optimas are Mexican crap and have been for a while. I wouldnt waste the money. Ive had great luck with duralast gold series. Great warranty and performance.
Thanks for the replies folks. Is the Duralast Gold Series a maintenance free battery or dry cell like the Optimas?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maintenance free lead-acid battery.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had an Optima Red Top in my car for over 5 years without a single issue. Driving it on Saturdays only during the summer and storing it for 6 months over the winter season, I hook it up in spring and it starts first turn of the key.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Nice... Lots of great facts here.

Originally Posted by notnilc20
Thanks for the replies folks. Is the Duralast Gold Series a maintenance free battery or dry cell like the Optimas?
All batteries are largely the same. Duralast batteries are of the commodity type and are just like any other battery, but just have a different name slapped on the front. For normal driving, every battery is just about the same and the warranty length is the best indicator of quality.

Optima has a patented design, with some benefits that are not necessary for everyone. If the OP is putting a battery in the passenger compartment of the car, I'd first cringe (there are many things about auto batteries that are not compatible with human life) - but would completely go for an Optima due to the increased factor of safety due to the cell design.

In the end, longevity of the battery has to deal with many variables and the laws of chemistry are largely in control:
- Design
- Use
- Temperatures
- Purity of the electrodes and electrolytes
- Physical integrity of the internal parts

For example; a perfectly good 7 year starter battery may only last 1 year if its continually discharged and used in a situation better suited for a deep cycle battery.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never had good luck with optima batteries, they never seemed to respond well to being charged by the alternator. I went through three of them in 4 months and went to the duralast gold. I have had them in 4 cars over the past ten years and never had one go bad on me inside of warranty
Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Another vote for red top optima. Cranks every time.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Here ya go - from Consumer Reports: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ying-guide.htm

"Most aftermarket car batteries sold in the United States are made by three companies that build them for retailers: Johnson Controls, which supplies more than half of the market, Exide, and East Penn. They are sold under various names and built to the specifications of retailers, so performance can vary."

(BTW - Optima would not fall in to the "Most aftermarket car batteries" category.)
Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Launching!

ive had my red top for almost 5 years now and just recently moved it to my trunk.....car still cranks just as good as the day i bought it.

I do remember reading an article a while ago saying that optima had sold out to another owner and the first thing they did was cut down on the quality/materials used. So i have noticed a decline in optima's batteries as i used to work in a parts store.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Teching In

HI Notnilc20.
I would like to respond to your op here, then I will address some of the comments I read in the thread.
First and foremost, if you are putting a battery, any battery in your interior, be sure that is a vented battery, properly vented to the outside or use a ventable battery box. A google search will give you plenty of options for different installations and sizes. Our group 27, 51, 78, 34C and 31 batteries have provisions for venting. You can look at the specs on those batteries on our website for size and fitment and general battery specs.
Second, our RedTop is for starting only or think of it as OEM replacement. As long as you are retaining the stock stereo, not changing pulleys, running an alternator, etc, then the RedTop is all you need. However, if you do plan to deep-cycle the battery for any of the above or other reasons, then you will need our YellowTop, dual-purpose deep-cycling unit.
Even though it is a general misconception, gel cell batteries and AGM batteries are not the same. Most gell cells are not for automotive applications. They have very specific voltage ranges and charging procedures and usually found in energy storage applications.
AGM is new (when compared to flooded acid) technology that incorporates an absorbed glass matting that is between the lead in a battery. Thus, there is no loose acid to spill. That is why you can mount our batteries on their side if you need to in an odd installation location.
I really appreciate when customers like SweeTbone, sabersaw30, and fastassls1maro tell of the years of service they have gotten out of our batteries. Thanks guys. On the other hand, I just don't understand comments like Cosmos made without some explanation.
Chrysler kid, I am interested in your issue, usually when multiple batteries fail there is a different problem, like a weak alternator, or parasitic drain. Just curious about your particular situation.
We have found that a lot of our returned batteries were simply deeply-discharged and were fine once they were properly recharged. AGM batteries can be charged with your everyday charger, but you must follow a slightly different procedure. If it reads below 10.5 volts, you may have to add another battery in parallel until it recharges to 10.5 volts. We don't like to see Optima batteries recharged at a rate of over 10 amps and be sure you keep an eye on them to be sure they don't get hot to the touch. As a general rule 2 amps works fine when recharging. The thing to remember is AGM batteries are less resistant, more efficient and charge at a lower amperage. Most of our batteries that will not take a charge were fine until they were improperly overcharged and vented. We strive to educate people daily to avoid this mistake. I have several vehicles with “bad” Optima batteries in them. I just love it everytime those batteries crank up something that has been sitting for months and are working fine after a proper recharge.
Anyway, regardless of what you buy, be sure you take safety into consideration and keep those explosive gasses away from you and your passengers.
I hope this helps,
Thanks,
Bill Howell
eCare Manger, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an OPTIMA yellow top in my silver car for 6 years no issues at all....... I even left the fans on in the staging lanes waiting to run, waited for nearly 2 hours due to an accident and clean up then realized i had left the fans on! So i get some cables from a friend let them sit on both batteries for about 20 minutes then fired the car up let the car idle for another 20 minutes made my pass then went home.... Car started the next morning without issues until 2 years later it was done.....got a new one.
The only complaint about the OPTIMA is that it weighs 42lbs but i am glad to have one in all 3 of my cars.
Name:  96LtX3.jpg
Views: 6215
Size:  61.6 KB
Old 08-17-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was an optima red and it was over 4 years ago. I went through 3 of them before I got frustrated with the car always being dead at the end of the month. I never had any issues with a battery drain with any of my other batteries so I can only assume the fault was with the battery

The batteries I had would also never come back from being run dead. I did happen to leave the stereo running one time and completely drained the battery. I attempted to recharge however it detected a fault within the battery and would not charge. I did searchIng on the matter back then and everything I saw said that optima batteries were hit or miss, and because of their dry cell design they did not respond well to being heavily used and then charged.

After that many issues I decided to go back to the old style batteries and the duralast brand has never left me stranded.

I would really love some sort of comparison or graph from optima to a standard 3 year battery to show the differences. So a chart showing charge, average amperage contained within the battery, and amperage contained within the battery after 3 years

Bill thank you for responding to the thread. Putting a personable face with a corporation is always good to see
Old 08-17-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm still on my original Optima Red since ~2004.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Optima Bill
HI Notnilc20.
I would like to respond to your op here, then I will address some of the comments I read in the thread.
First and foremost, if you are putting a battery, any battery in your interior, be sure that is a vented battery, properly vented to the outside or use a ventable battery box. A google search will give you plenty of options for different installations and sizes. Our group 27, 51, 78, 34C and 31 batteries have provisions for venting. You can look at the specs on those batteries on our website for size and fitment and general battery specs.
Second, our RedTop is for starting only or think of it as OEM replacement. As long as you are retaining the stock stereo, not changing pulleys, running an alternator, etc, then the RedTop is all you need. However, if you do plan to deep-cycle the battery for any of the above or other reasons, then you will need our YellowTop, dual-purpose deep-cycling unit.
Even though it is a general misconception, gel cell batteries and AGM batteries are not the same. Most gell cells are not for automotive applications. They have very specific voltage ranges and charging procedures and usually found in energy storage applications.
AGM is new (when compared to flooded acid) technology that incorporates an absorbed glass matting that is between the lead in a battery. Thus, there is no loose acid to spill. That is why you can mount our batteries on their side if you need to in an odd installation location.
I really appreciate when customers like SweeTbone, sabersaw30, and fastassls1maro tell of the years of service they have gotten out of our batteries. Thanks guys. On the other hand, I just don't understand comments like Cosmos made without some explanation.
Chrysler kid, I am interested in your issue, usually when multiple batteries fail there is a different problem, like a weak alternator, or parasitic drain. Just curious about your particular situation.
We have found that a lot of our returned batteries were simply deeply-discharged and were fine once they were properly recharged. AGM batteries can be charged with your everyday charger, but you must follow a slightly different procedure. If it reads below 10.5 volts, you may have to add another battery in parallel until it recharges to 10.5 volts. We don't like to see Optima batteries recharged at a rate of over 10 amps and be sure you keep an eye on them to be sure they don't get hot to the touch. As a general rule 2 amps works fine when recharging. The thing to remember is AGM batteries are less resistant, more efficient and charge at a lower amperage. Most of our batteries that will not take a charge were fine until they were improperly overcharged and vented. We strive to educate people daily to avoid this mistake. I have several vehicles with “bad” Optima batteries in them. I just love it everytime those batteries crank up something that has been sitting for months and are working fine after a proper recharge.
Anyway, regardless of what you buy, be sure you take safety into consideration and keep those explosive gasses away from you and your passengers.
I hope this helps,
Thanks,
Bill Howell
eCare Manger, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
Thanks OptimaBill,

I decided to go with the Red Top. I put 0 gauge wires from the starter and fuse boxes using a distribution block and put a 200amp circuit breaker switch near the battery positive cable and grounded the battery with 0 gauge and I'm getting a good 12.5 volts and 14.3 volts when the car is running. Battery cranks the car no problem at all. Thanks for the advice. Here's a pic.

PS..The toggle switch is for a compressor that I have for my air suspension.
also, don't worry, I will vent the battery and properly mount it later.
Attached Thumbnails Yellow or Red Top Optima battery?-batteryrelocate03.jpg   Yellow or Red Top Optima battery?-batteryrelocate02.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Notnilc20, I am glad you got it all worked out and SERIOUSLY, thanks for letting me know that you WILL vent it properly later. Please do it ASAP, that is such a safety issue that I must remind you to do so.
ChryslerKid, sorry it has been so long ago. The one battery you ran dead with the radio, did you use this
? I would bet that the fault was the fact that the charger you were using did not recognize the deeply-discharged RedTop. With three RedTops going “by the end of the month”, did changing brands fix that issue?
I don't have a chart like you are asking for, but as a general rule let me point out that people in hotter climates go through batteries faster than those in colder climates, heat is hard on any brand of battery. I did find this post and saved it, and think it is appropriate to link here.

Thanks again to everyone that have said their Optima batteries have given them years of great service. This is usually the case and when we do find issues we like to try and find the reason. It helps that situation and sometimes prevents the same complaint later.

Bill Howell
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So, if voltage is less than 10.5V, charge two batteries in parallel (to keep charging current below 10A).

What should the charger be set to (has various selectable settings on it)...?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yellow or Red Top Optima battery?