General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What Spark plugs go well with the LS1??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roninsonic
Swing on 'em.

1) My age has nothing to do with it. You insulted me, I called you out on your BS and gave it right back to you. Not my problem if I'm better at it.

2) Hardly anyone joins this site without plans to modify their car.
Grow up someday soon OK.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone notice any difference in stock or otherwise engine performance and response when initially changing from the iridiums to the NGK TR55s?

I am about to change the plugs in my 2000 SS and tempted to stay with iridiums but may go with the TR55s gapped at .050 and then change if I notice a difference in performance.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Spark Plugs do not offer more horsepower.....this is an old wives tale. sexist...ech. lol
Old 09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1121
Spark Plugs do not offer more horsepower.....this is an old wives tale. sexist...ech. lol
Thanks for the reply. I was referring to ignition performance and timing/responsiveness of throttle issues. Any negatives here as far as the V-Power plugs versus the iridiums?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Denso has this to say about iridium plugs.

The key point being for peak performance replace iridium plugs at 30,000 miles per Denso.

http://iridiumsparkplugs.com/faq.php

"Iridium use represents the most significant technological advance in automotive spark plug manufacturing, since platinum was introduced in the early eighties. As vehicle manufacturers produce increasingly complex and efficient automobiles, there is a greater need for long-life plugs that can tolerate leaner fuel mixtures and improved combustion processes. DENSO has responded to this need by developing its Iridium alloy, originally for OE applications. For example, many newer Lexus? and Toyota models carry an ultra long-life Iridium plug variation (.7mm with platinum tipped ground) that is capable of up to 120,000 miles of service. DENSO Iridium Power plugs, with their .4mm center electrode, have been developed for performance applications. Because gradual wear will ?round-off? firing points over time, the concentrated firing power and voltage requirement benefits will be reduced. For this reason, DENSO advises replacement after 30,000 miles."

I normally replace TR-55's every 20,000 miles which is far less expensive than replacing iridium every 30,000 miles. Denso also mention a Ford magazine found a 2-3 horsepower gain with their plugs on a dyno.

Many years ago when my 99 T/A was new it had NGK platinum from the factory. I dyno'd the car. Checked the plugs and gaps weren't consitant. I replaced with NGK TR55's gapped at .050 as others mentioned. The dyno showed a 4 rear wheel horse power gain. I'm sure having the gap set correctly and consitantly was the source of the gain.

One of the local shop owners used to train Honda's dealer techs on the west coast. I asked him about benefits of iridium plugs. He said platiumn was just as good for long plug life in most applications. Where iridium true benefit was some engines are designed to use the iridium plugs for spark knock detection. This can allow the ECM to advance spark or lean out the mixture more precisely for better overall performance. However,to get the real benefit of iridium, the engine must have been designed to use the iridium plug in that manner.

If the engine came from the factory with iridium, I would keep using iridium. If the car didn't come from the factory with iridium, probably not much much to be gained with iridium since for peak performance 30,000 mile plug changes are needed per Denso the manufacturer.

NGK TR-55's @ .050 are well proven.

The Autolite racing plugs are might be good too but I've not test those with LS1's.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:34 PM

just put in a set of NGK TR5-GPs and set em at .40 for my newly bought 2001 convertible Camaro SS 5.7...I read this n I read that...about proper gaps..I set em at 40 and took him out for a spin...WOW.....

Quick Reply: What Spark plugs go well with the LS1??