General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 SS M6 cuts off on sharp turns

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 SS M6 cuts off on sharp turns

Ok peple, this is my first post ever, let me start by saying ls1tech rules, ok....
I got a 98 camaro ss 6-speed, k&n stock replacement filter, straight pipe, strano springs, lcs's, n lca's relo brackets, dbl adj phb, stb, 3-point weld on subframs connectors, lakewood, tunnel brace w/ driveshaft safety loop, n rear drag shocks.....
When i make a sharp turn, meaning like road course action, my throttl cuts off for a couple seconds, then i get to go.... I dont know if it has some type of safety or government chip or senso that doesnt let it hit hard turns, but it takes the fun out of me tryin to drive my camaro hard, anybody got any ideas on what this might be? Thanks for the help everyone....
Old 09-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

I've never heard of a high G cutoff chip, but am sure your car doesn't have one.

People in the past have had similar issues due to loose wiring. You might scan for codes to see if that gives you a clue as to the general area having the issue.

If this only happens when you get in the throttle out of a turn - that's something different.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have a vacuum leak from the power brake booster....if your pushing your brake pedal harder to slow down on sharp turns it will cuase your engine to stall...press on your break pedal with engine off and ignition on run position
and listen for air escaping from your brake booster....sounds like a slow air leak...best of luck to you
Old 09-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Ok the car is a champ, runs like a brand new car...
It didnt have no codes, n i dont hit the brakes wen this happens, i pretty much drive normal, then ill see a nice turn/street i wanna hit fast, so wat ill do is down shift n throttle it....
If it burns out n i drift it, it drives perfect, but if i dont punch it as if i wanna hug the turn n grip good, ocasionally it will do it....
Ok, now lets say theres a loose wire sumwere.... What would cause this? Were do i start lookin? What sensors do i check?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 98KILLACAMSS
Ok, now lets say theres a loose wire sumwere.... What would cause this? Were do i start lookin? What sensors do i check?
Prepare for a "not fun" experience. This type of things can be caused by anything. (bad mechanics, good mechanics who are drunk, corrosion, rats, angry x-girlfriends, etc.)

I'd start with checking any wire connection that connects the battery or alternator to other parts of the car.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Ok so ive been checking n checking, everything seems good, i mean i checked almost every connection, i checked for broken hoses or pipes, broken parts, loose parts, top n bottom, i checked fluids, but now i got 1 last question..... Now that ive been thinking of this for so long, ive pretty much thought of everything, but 1 thing dat has me wondering is if the gas had anything to do with it....
Ok here it goes, lets say i got less than 1 quarter tank of gas, or around there, wat if im hitting the turn so hard, that it makes da gas lean all to one side, would that make it cutoff? Like the gas leaning away from the fuel pump's reach?!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM
paq
Staging Lane

Ok so ive been checking n checking, everything seems good, i mean i checked almost every connection, i checked for broken hoses or pipes, broken parts, loose parts, top n bottom, i checked fluids, but now i got 1 last question..... Now that ive been thinking of this for so long, ive pretty much thought of everything, but 1 thing dat has me wondering is if the gas had anything to do with it....
Ok here it goes, lets say i got less than 1 quarter tank of gas, or around there, wat if im hitting the turn so hard, that it makes da gas lean all to one side, would that make it cutoff? Like the gas leaning away from the fuel pump's reach?!
for sure! try to do the same but with the tank full....
make sure it's not the traction control ( ASR) that come on during sharp turn...
Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Alright u guys! I tried tearing up da streets all day today with a full tank, no problems wat so ever, so i guess its da low fuel, from this moment on ill drive 1/2 tank or more jus so i can get the full benefit of this LS1 6-speed with full suspension haha, thanks for all the help you guys, help is hard to find n i respect that, so my 98 camaro ss m6 80,056 miles lives with no problems, n continues to wreack havok in the streets of Los Angeles once again, thanks again n talk to yall soon! Problem solved over n out! 😝
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Save the manuals!

lets say i got less than 1 quarter tank of gas, or around there, wat if im hitting the turn so hard, that it makes da gas lean all to one side, would that make it cutoff? Like the gas leaning away from the fuel pump's reach?!
There should be a baffle in the fuel tank to keep this from happening when the fuel is low.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Maybe i drive it with the fuel level too low, because the last time this happened i know i remembered having less than 1/4 of a tank, almost empty, i normally dont drive that hard, but that was the day i discovered an amazing turn that i thought i'd hit super hard n see what the beaSSt would do with its upgrades, anyways thanks to all who helped, you guys are good people, im glad im in ls1tech, n im sure well chat again, until then have a blast!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont flame me - but is your traction control on?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Teching In

The button my car has is ASR, i turn it off, acceleration slip reducer, i know wat it is.....

Quick Reply: 98 SS M6 cuts off on sharp turns