General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Keep Blowing Horn Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keep Blowing Horn Fuse

Ok guys help me out here. I keep blowing the horn fuse. It all started about a month ago when all of a sudden my horn just starts going off without me touching it so i pull over and pull the fuse. get home and inspect the actual horn itself and clean the terminal on it and put it back on.

It worked and then a week or so later i went to lock my car and the horn never went off so i check the fuse and it is blown. Put another fuse in and the next day boom its blown again. So i change the horn itself and splice in those slide in connectors. Works fine for a few days and then blows again. so i change the horn contacts in the steering wheel and changed the fuse. Works for a day or 2 then blows again. What am i doing wrong here and how can i fix it.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,121 Likes on 618 Posts

It doesn’t sound like you are doing anything wrong, a blown fuse means that somewhere in the circuit your power wire is either pinched, melted, or insulation missing causing it to ground out. Do you have an aftermarket car alarm or remote start installed? If you have an aftermarket accessory, check all those connections first and all the wiring under the steering column. Separate the horn wire from the alarm system to help rule out that as a possible cause. Another step to help with diagnosis is use a multimeter and check for any type of resistance in the horn circuit and ground. There should be no connection between the horns 12+ circuit and ground. If you get a reading of 0.0 or any numerical reading, take your time looking for the damaged wire and you should be able to have a working horn again.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 10-19-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hope this helps, i would check all your power wires for a short to ground using this schematic!

Quick Reply: Keep Blowing Horn Fuse