General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ls1 rode hard put away wet..what do i check for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ls1 rode hard put away wet..what do i check for?

Ive had this 99 Z28 for a few months, bought it with 111k miles on it (now with 112k) and just from driving it...working on it...maintaining it... i can definitly tell that the LS1 in this car has had a rougher time than Lady Gaga would at an NRA rally.
that being said, the engine runs pretty good...other than the fact the motor shakes and rattles more than richard simmons on a meth bender.
Its got good oil pressure (60 to near 80 psi), has always had synthetic oil but like i said, im worried that its been abused...and now i gotta be the therapist. the question is, if you bought a car that was beatin on, what would you check first? timing chain? lifters? i know these engines are noisey by nature but still....i have concerns. im sure this thing has seen the rev limiter more times than a 17 year old learning that you really cant do a burnout with a 110 hp civic just cause you have a big decal that says "thug life" across the back window
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,070 Posts

If the engine is stock, and your only concerns at this point are based on noise and/or engine shake, since it's an M6 you could start by checking the push rods. Mechanical over-rev (or possibily even some hard hits against the rev limiter) can and will bend them. I would not worry about the timing chain or lifters as a starting point.

Engine shake/poor idle can be attributed to several items that are not internal to the engine. Simple stuff such as a dirty MAF, subpar front O2s, dirty injectors, fouled plugs, or even a vacuum leak could all be simple answers to this problem.

Without a more detailed evaluation of the exact conditions that you are trying to correct, it would be hard to recommend anything more specific than a good detox center for Mr. Simmons.

Quick Reply: ls1 rode hard put away wet..what do i check for?