General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil pan removal question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Oil pan removal question

I Just finished changing my oil pump put everything back together, upgrade the underpulley, just to find out that my oil pan is leaking bad from the driver side, I gonna be taking out the oil pan to change the gasket, but my question is, do I need to remove the underdrive pulley again and all the accesories so I can unbolt the Pick Up tube or, can the pick up oil tube is not bolt to the oil pan? just trying to save some time by not removing the whole front of the engine.

Any help I would appreciated
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont need to touch the front of the engine at all..support/raise engine, put floor jack under k member and unbolt from car, lower the k til you have enough room to weasel the oil pan out..this is exactley how i did mine in the garage.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JaYZeig
dont need to touch the front of the engine at all..support/raise engine, put floor jack under k member and unbolt from car, lower the k til you have enough room to weasel the oil pan out..this is exactley how i did mine in the garage.
Thanks for the comment man!! I will get to work on it this weekend
Old 01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Won't rtv or something seal a leak from the outside......no pressure in the pan.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Won't rtv or something seal a leak from the outside......no pressure in the pan.

What do you mean do I need to put rtv or not all, the gasket i bought comes with silicone on it
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERO_POLLO
What do you mean do I need to put rtv or not all, the gasket i bought comes with silicone on it
I think he was saying just put silicone on the outside to stop it from leaking? Dunno for sure.
I need to do this job, too. Been putting it off for months, but I'm not leaking any oil. The weld on the inside of the pan that connects the bolt that the drain plug goes through broke off. So the nut just spins and spins, as does the plug...
Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427

Thats not completely true. On the drivers side in front of the filter is the galley pressurized oil runs to the filter in. I had the same problem he is having but I drained my pan thru a torn gasket silicon o ring in about 30 seconds.

FYI
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely recommend doing the fix, which it seems you will be. Silicon on the outside would be a bandage fix to get home much like water weld on a radiator...ask me how I know.

Quick Reply: Oil pan removal question