General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant shooting out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant shooting out!!!

ok my guages today went crazy...first my radiator crack so i replace it...i went ahead and added a 160 stat...ran fine...then my car starting leaking out through the cap and a hose right next to it...i replaced the cap and then the clamp on the hose...it stop leaking from there...then when coming backfrom school the resalvor looked like a valcano...it never did this what is causing all this...oh and today my "check guages" light came on and my tempt mark went pass 260 ....i have a fan switch so i just turned it on and made it same home...i never had prob with the fan switch(homemade) so can it be the stat or what...PLEASE HELP.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

i talked to a buddy at autozone he said it might be a head gasket...anybody have any ideas.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn... I have no idea what the problem could be. The engine temp would justify a head gasket problem, but why would there be so many frequent coolant leaks?

What does the exhaust look like? Does your oil appear milky? Just check for signs of coolant in your oil, or burning off coolant... they're tell tale signs of a dropped head gasket...
Old 04-21-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Just a shot in the dark but the waterpump might have gone bad. Since it's not circulating around, it might just get hot and boil over. I had a friend who blew a head gasket once and the water was going through the exhaust. After you check the oil and if it looks ok, try another stat (cuz they're cheap). If that doesn't fix it, have a mechanic check your water pump. If that's ok, then you'll have to look at the head gaskets. Start with the cheapest and work your way out.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

the stat is new but I still took it out and ran with not stat...the same thing happen...i fix the leak in the cap and hose next to it...my oil seems fine but i have alot of vapor from my exhaust...my friends keep saying its a head gasket or a head...i notice the water pouring out the resalvor a lil after the first fan came on...i pop the switch for the second fan to turn on quickly and it stop pouring out...I have no water pump leaks...but it can still be messed up right...Ive had enough im taking it to a friend who's a mechanic tomorrow to see whats wrong...but feel free to give opinions of what is going on with my car.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

what do you mean by vapor from the exhaust? it could be a head gasket, but like denney said you want to start with the cheapest first. the water pump could still be bad if it isn't getting water out... i would definitely check that first, and if it is bad, swap to an electric waterpump.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Regular

well has any one heard of "billy" at "red line racing" well he is like a buddy i guess just met him...he has my car and tomorrow l will find out whats wrong and I think the problem is going to end up a head gasket...enisguy thats true might as well do things right.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

okay well let us know what happened.. good luck with your baby
Old 04-23-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had a weird problem that's not too dissimilar.

I experienced coolant "exploding" out the reservoir when the car got hot. The motor was brand new warranty replacement GM.

Eventually, we found that the guys who installed my motor hooked up the coolant lines incorrectly at the radiator. The tube coming from the heads is *supposed* to go below the tube going to the overflow container. They had it the opposite - the tube going to the overflow was hooked to the nipple below, and the tube going to the back of the heads was hooked to the upper nipple.

Hooked it up right, no more problems.

Since you had radiator work done recently, hmmm...
Old 04-23-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

oh shoott..i go look at that...thanks.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Regular

well i feel stupid but the prob was fixed by adding the black piece of plastic under the car...i cant remember the name its wat helps flow air to ur radiator...when i bought the car it wasnt there and never thought of it much(bought it in dec....still cold)...plus they bleed the radiator, adjust the rocker arms, compression on heads, and found out the only prob was bad oil pump(good oil pump when i accelerate but goes below 25 when i let it idle....mechanic said thats bad) and told me to change it my self so it can be cheaper then call him back to see if it cured the ticking sound of the car which went down big times after the adjustment of the rocker arms....yeah sorry for all the trouble but it just never came to mind about that bottom piece of the car.