General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter issue when connecting battery.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issue when connecting battery.

I'm having an issue with my starter turning the motor over as soon as I connect the battery. Even does it with all Relays/Fuses pulled. Double checked grounds they are good. Purple wire is not touching power wire, verified this twice. Any ideas? Also had a small cloud of smoke come from Drivers side behind head. Smell like burned plastic..
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your solenoid fork in the starter is stuck, or the solenoid on the starter is stuck closed and is always energizing the starter. you either need a new starter (will come with a new solenoid) or you may be able to pull your starter apart and free it up if it's a stuck fork.
the fork is number 55-210 in the pic, solenoid is 55-209. it's a ford pic but the pmgr starters are all basically the same internally.
what you can also do is pull the starter and put it on a bench with a car battery to test. you have the big battery wire going to the solenoid, then a smaller wire which is power when ignition key is in the start position. with smaller wire disconnected the starter should not do anything when the big terminal on the solenoid is connected to the battery. you will also need to connect to the negative battery terminal to the starter shell. you can also test the small wire to the solenoid on the car with a volt meter, with key off there should be no voltage on it. if there is when key is in any position other than start then you have other electrical problems, just be careful because the big wire to the starter is battery + and hot all times. so disconnect your battery before working on the starter and don't let the big wire (or small wire) touch anything if the battery is connected.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

The starter worked fine on the motor it Was on before. Was off maybe 2 months? Autozone checked starter and it was fine. I will double check it your way though. Why would I of had a small cloud of smoke of the driver side if all it was that the starter was stuck? I'm guessing the purple wire is getting power somewhere? I really don't want to connect battery again and do more damage.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

check if wires arnt making contact with manifolds or headers..when i installed headers on a old z28 i had apparently starter wires were touching headers..after a week pastics had mealted down and it was wire on steel started a lil fire ..
Old 05-26-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1_MEANZ28
check if wires arnt making contact with manifolds or headers..when i installed headers on a old z28 i had apparently starter wires were touching headers..after a week pastics had mealted down and it was wire on steel started a lil fire ..
Wires are fine and the car hasn't actually be started.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

I am literally going through the same exact thing. Now when the starter isn't touching the block and I connect the battery the starter doesn't spin. I disconnect the battery mount the starter and ban it wants to spin as soon as I touch the battery terminal.

Last edited by Chevyman1968; 05-26-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:23 AM
TECH Resident

I haven't tried it off the car yet. I won't be able to touch the car for a few days due to work.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Well mine ended up being the starter. Thank goodness. Good luck with yours.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

Guess I need to find another starter to test it.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:30 AM
TECH Resident

So the starter stopped turning over when I connect the battery but now it won't turn over when key is turned and gauges are acting funny. Sweeping and bouncing.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds like you got some crazy things going on.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oChristiano
I'm having an issue with my starter turning the motor over as soon as I connect the battery. Even does it with all Relays/Fuses pulled. Double checked grounds they are good. Purple wire is not touching power wire, verified this twice. Any ideas? Also had a small cloud of smoke come from Drivers side behind head. Smell like burned plastic..
you need a new starter if that other one isn't.

easy fix.

and make sure you have large POS cable to correct
terminal.

then put you relays and everything back in and recheck.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Any luck with the starter issue?

Quick Reply: Starter issue when connecting battery.