General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seafoam??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ajwoodtransport
There is a sticker on the intake of my 98 f-150 that specifically says not to use any additives or cleaners through the intake system. Why it says that I don't know, but I leave that part alone. Likewise I'm pretty skeptical about putting it through my lubrication system for fear of either lowering the oil pressure too much or screwing up one of the seals, but I agree with the one poster above....if you just idle it and don't put it under a load it's probably fine. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty gummy in my intake...you can literally scrape off the varnish with a knife, but I've had it for 15 years with 180,000 miles on it and the performance and fuel mileage has pretty much stayed the same....so I'm not going to mess with it. My Camaro has even more varnish and I guess if I was worried about emissions like the other poster abover, or every little hundreds of a second in the quarter mile...then I'd try to clean it.....but otherwise I'd leave it alone. Just my opinion, but I don't have any facts to back it up.
Yea, no reason to mess with it it's doing fine. If you ever do decide to, get the engine up to operating temp THEN remove the 02 sensors.....then idle it and spray a can into the front of the intake or let it get sucked into the TB if possible. Then shut it off and let it sit for 2 hours. Them start it and let it idle for 15 min, then put the 02 sensors back in and go drive it.
This way you won't risk fouling a good 02 sensor.

It's very very rare....but I guess it has happened.

You should get better throttle response and smoother acceleration.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the best fuel system cleaner use bg 44k. It runs through your gas tank and I would never trust anything that says you can add it to your gas and or oil. You can find bg products at @bgfindashop.com
Old 07-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yea, no reason to mess with it it's doing fine. If you ever do decide to, get the engine up to operating temp THEN remove the 02 sensors.....then idle it and spray a can into the front of the intake or let it get sucked into the TB if possible. Then shut it off and let it sit for 2 hours. Them start it and let it idle for 15 min, then put the 02 sensors back in and go drive it.
This way you won't risk fouling a good 02 sensor.

It's very very rare....but I guess it has happened.

You should get better throttle response and smoother acceleration.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Black00SS/65SS
For the best fuel system cleaner use bg 44k. It runs through your gas tank and I would never trust anything that says you can add it to your gas and or oil. You can find bg products at @bgfindashop.com
That BG44K is very powerful stuff and the price indicates that, usually around $18 - $20. My GM dealership stocks it and my Porsche mechanic used it on a 911 I used to own. Very effective product for the fuel system. One word of caution from the service advisor, if you accidentally spill on the paint, clean immediately!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
And this thread (meaning that link above) should be deleted from this forum. By keeping it available it only causes members and others to throw money in the garbage and possibly totally damaging someone's engine......
Makes no senses to keep it alive.....

Great point. Where is the beating-a-dead-horse emoticon???

We need a better thread that is in line with the manufacturer's instructions, is technically focused, and presents the alternatives. All of these products use the exact same (or similar) mixture of chemicals. However, there are some that have different apparatus for cleaning different areas (Chrysler's and GM's products/tools come to mind along with MotorVac.) and those options should be covered as well.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Great point. Where is the beating-a-dead-horse emoticon???

We need a better thread that is in line with the manufacturer's instructions, is technically focused, and presents the alternatives. All of these products use the exact same (or similar) mixture of chemicals. However, there are some that have different apparatus for cleaning different areas (Chrysler's and GM's products/tools come to mind along with MotorVac.) and those options should be covered as well.
Yes.....but when people, especially newbies come in here to ask how to use SeaFoam to clean the top end......even though I'm so sick of it being asked after 10 years......I still have to try to stop then from wasting their time, money and the possibility of destroying their engine.

Years ago I posted a how-to, with pictures, to use MCCC or other Foam products to properly clean the top end. Don't know where it went.

Also.....even though most cleaning products for this purpose share most of the same ingredients, if its not a FOAM it cannot do a complete or very good job in cleaning the top end, especially the intake. Also....people need to know that introduction of any product, even a Foam, will do almost nothing unless it is introduced in the FRONT of the intake somewhere. Introduction at the rear of the intake will only impact the rear two cylinders, and only clean them a little bit.

Quick Reply: Seafoam??