General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seafoam??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam??

Just wanted to know what you guys think about seafoam. I want to run it through the motor on my next oil change to clean out all the carbon and junk that has built up over the last 100, 000 miles. Whenever I do an oil change the oil is always instantly dirty, otherwise I really wouldnt be considering it.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html
Old 06-10-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like using GM top engine cleaner. The stuff is super strong and works GREAT.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Okay thanks for the info guys
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Are you going to use it in the oil as a prior to changing oil or are you going to use it in your intake. If you are going to use it in your intake, pour it in slowly as you have the car running. Usually through the power brake booster vacuum hose. I've heard and seen people hydrolock the motor because they either poured it in while the car was not running or they poured it too fast.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Teching In

pour it in SLOWLY if you are planning to go through the vacuum lines. get a friend to help (I know this sounds trivial but seriously). a friend destroyed an engine by hydrolocking it
Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

You get a real small vacuum hose adapter that has a little pin point on each end and feed in in super slowly like 15min for half and run the other half threw the tank but you want a real small opening to suck it out with don't pour it.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

for oil, i would run it through for like a couple hundred miles prior to oil change, it thins it out pretty good, but will collect the crap build up.

As for vacuum lines, i use the brake booster line as the syphon. It nocked a few points off my NOX numbers for good ole California smog.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I dont trust seafoam... i just use Redline SL-1 every other oil change
Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Haha.......we still have people putting ****** SeaFoam into the vacuum lines......when will the ignorance stop....?

So sick of it. But also funny at the same time.

NEWSFLASH TO ALL THE GENIUSES......only use FOAM cleaners to clean the ****** top end.........Unless you want to possibly lose the engine and you like completely wasting your money....

BUT.......SeaFoam in the oil will clean the engine out. You need to put a whole can into the engine oil if you want it to work. BUT DO NOT drive the damn car with it in the oil......just let it idle for 15 minutes. You don't want to rev the friggin engine beyond idle with thinned out oil. Bearing damage could occur. And you don't want that chemical under pressure against anything rubber, like seals. If you think you need to drive the car with a cleaner chemical in the oil you're engine is probably so sludged up you'll need to tear it down to clean it.....

Also.....one full can of SeaFoam in 1/8th tank of gas every 3-4 months is GREAT for cleaning the entire fuel system from gas tank to lines to fuel injectors.

SeaFoam is great stuff......I just people would stop perpetuating the fantasy that it will clean the top end of an engine.....It Won't. And don't ask me why you or your friend got so much smoke when they did it.....you can search my name and find that explanation everywhere.

Last edited by LS6427; 07-11-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I came in for that... Thanks.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lemons12
I came in for that... Thanks.
lol.......I can't contain myself.....

Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Banned

And this thread (meaning that link above) should be deleted from this forum. By keeping it available it only causes members and others to throw money in the garbage and possibly totally damaging someone's engine......
Makes no senses to keep it alive.....

Old 07-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idk... seafoam works good for me! i use in everything i own. i feel a diff in the over all performance!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by high n dry
idk... seafoam works good for me! i use in everything i own. i feel a diff in the over all performance!
As far as cleaning the top end.....you only partially clean the rear two cylinders of a V8 used via the brake booster line...THATS ABSOLUTELY ALL.

.....if you somehow get it to enter through the front where ALL the cylinders will get wet from the SeaFoam as it speeds through and out the exhaust at a hundred miles per hour......you will get a TINT TINT TINY bit of cleaning to some of the dirt that's built up in there......but hardly anything will be really, truly cleaned. The smoke show is from the pooled up SeaFoam that's being burned out after you start it up.

So it's a big double placebo burger with cheese that you feel.........

Fuel system and crankcase cleaner......SeaFoam is GREAT STUFF, however.....

Old 07-18-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any suggestion on a good foam cleaner for the intake track?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

My father was a Goodyear service manager in Tampa when they first started pushing the stuff they did a befor and after with a scope and it did pretty damn good when used the right way not some idiot useing a effin lawn hose.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

But opinions are like *** holes everybody got one...but seeing is believing and if you gotta ask how then save ur motor and go some where that does a good injection service
Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tpunk
Any suggestion on a good foam cleaner for the intake track?
Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner (MCCC). It's sold at Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealerships. But it's hard to find. eBay sometimes has it available too.

If you have a Yamaha Ourboard (boat) Motor dealership near you, Yamaha Combustion Chamber Cleaner is great stuff too.

GM also makes a pretty good one.

Just make sure you use a Foam....it's the only way it will work. Putting SeaFoam...a friggin liquid....is for idiots. They just don't understand what's going on. Also, if you introduce it into the brake booster line you are wasting anything that your using to clean with. It MUST be introduced in the front of the intake so it travels WITH the airflow that's moving rearward and reaching all 8 intake runners.
Using the brake booster line is plain stupid.....there's no way a light foam or a heavy liquid is going to mysteriously travel against high velocity air being sucked into the intake by the pistons. Air travels rearward as it enters the Throttle Body, no possible way for anything to go from the back of the intake forward against the airflow and travel to the front of the intake.
I think that's pretty clear and understandable.

Plus, using the forward vacuum port on the passengers side front if the intake is 100 times easier than messing with stubborn brake booster lines that sometimes don't want to come off. And by pouring a liquid into the intake you risk possibly hydrolocking your engine. Bye bye engine.... If you do.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

There is a sticker on the intake of my 98 f-150 that specifically says not to use any additives or cleaners through the intake system. Why it says that I don't know, but I leave that part alone. Likewise I'm pretty skeptical about putting it through my lubrication system for fear of either lowering the oil pressure too much or screwing up one of the seals, but I agree with the one poster above....if you just idle it and don't put it under a load it's probably fine. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty gummy in my intake...you can literally scrape off the varnish with a knife, but I've had it for 15 years with 180,000 miles on it and the performance and fuel mileage has pretty much stayed the same....so I'm not going to mess with it. My Camaro has even more varnish and I guess if I was worried about emissions like the other poster abover, or every little hundreds of a second in the quarter mile...then I'd try to clean it.....but otherwise I'd leave it alone. Just my opinion, but I don't have any facts to back it up.

Quick Reply: Seafoam??