General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fluctuating temp Gauge, tough starting, bogging/buckling and running rich

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Fluctuating temp Gauge, tough starting, bogging/buckling and running rich

Hey guys I have a 98 ws6 it's running really funny. I did a real good tune up on it this winter. The thread title explains my issues. I believe it could be a cam or crank sensor giving me this problem? The car only bogs and buckles, losing fuel when the temp Gauge goes below 0, as if it isn't even getting a reading. It also idles somewhat rough but it's been idling somewhat funny for a few months now. I will likely change the temp sensor just in case it's that but any suggestions?? Thanks in advance
Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Believe it or not......98's will run like that with a failing Coolant Temp Sensor. My engine will hardly stay on.....backfires, spits, sputters and will NOT drive. The second you try to add some throttle to pull away it will stall. Pop in a new Temp Sensor.....ran perfect.

Change it out......see what happens.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:04 AM
Launching!

I will definitely do that. I also notice it seems to have no problems after cold startup in the morning but then the rest of the day being in and out its messed up.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Launching!

And the temp Gauge sometimes acts perfect and when it's not is when it messes up
Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveWs6
And the temp Gauge sometimes acts perfect and when it's not is when it messes up

It could be something else like a shorting out wire or the PCM is going out.....but it sure sounds like a coolant temp sensor on its way out. Easy cheap fix.

And if it doesn't fix the problem.....you can clean it and return it. Just tell them you never installed it and it was the wrong one because someone put aftermarket heads on your car so you had to go buy a special one. They'll have no clue and give you a refund.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Launching!

I changed the temp sensor and I've driven the car twice since. So far no issues. I will give it a few more days and see how it does. I'll be happy if that's all it was!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Believe it or not......98's will run like that with a failing Coolant Temp Sensor. My engine will hardly stay on.....backfires, spits, sputters and will NOT drive. The second you try to add some throttle to pull away it will stall. Pop in a new Temp Sensor.....ran perfect.

Change it out......see what happens.

^^agreed^^

if PCM is getting bad info on engines true temp
it will run different and erratically.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Ok guys well I changed the temp sensor a few times (warrantied it out) as well as the pigtail going to it... today I started it, drove it, got gas, started it back up and boom it started losing reading on the temperature and running very badly. Open loop. I am full on coolant.

My thought is that it could possibly be the thermostat getting stuck open or closed? In which case maybe I should try the thermostat next? Everytime I get a code it is a temp sensor code. I have checked for pinched wires and everything. I can't find anything else that would be causing this issue.

Please give me some input. I will likely change the thermostat tomorrow just to see what happens. It seems that this only happens on very hot days, and never the first startup. It always happens after I drive it somewhere, turn it off and start it up like 3 minutes later.

Or is there any chance it could be my Cam or Crank sensor starting to go?? I don't know lol
Old 06-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Launching!

For what it's worth my car has Heads that are off 99-02 LS1 . Today after the temperature got a reading again it was over the 210 mark but not way overheating.

Quick Reply: Fluctuating temp Gauge, tough starting, bogging/buckling and running rich