General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Stalls When Low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Stalls When Low RPM

The car a is 98 ta with 130k (m6 if it matters) and has a ticking coming from the engine. Not sure exactly what it is yet, could be a lifter, rod, probably not a exhaust leak though.

Last night my car started to stall a little after starting the car up. If no gas was given, the car would drop in oil pressure (>30) and stall after trying to keep itself alive.
This happens when the car was moving about 35-40mph as well, and when I was coasting in neutral down a hill. This happens with the ac on or off. The car would have these issues even after the engine was warmed up of 15-20 minute interstate driving.

This is the first time the car repeatedly stalled time after time when the rpm was low since I have owned it for over a year. I had no trouble driving the car earlier that day, and today when I started the car up, it started up and ran perfectly fine (besides the ticking noise).

Also mysteriously the check engine light went off that was previously on for O2 sensors, but that might have been from turning the ignition a number of times in a certain time frame.

From searching, I know there could be a number of reasons as to why a car would stall at low RPMs, but I was wondering if anyone here had an experience like this before with similar conditions as me. I will also post a video of the ticking noise later so hopefully someone can tell me what I want to hear and say it is not a rod knock.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

sound like this?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ine-noise.html
Old 08-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Loochy88
Sounds similar in some ways, however putting my car in neutral would not prevent the stalling from happening.

The car doesn't seem to have the stalling issue now, but the ticking is still there. Not sure what the problem was but I hope it doesn't come back!

Here is the video of the ticking, I might start a new thread for it though.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldSocks
Sounds similar in some ways, however putting my car in neutral would not prevent the stalling from happening.

The car doesn't seem to have the stalling issue now, but the ticking is still there. Not sure what the problem was but I hope it doesn't come back!

Here is the video of the ticking, I might start a new thread for it though.

LS1 Ticking - YouTube
Honestly, sounds like a rod bearing going...you could drain the oil and see if metal is in it and also cut the filter open. Could also put a long screwdriver or stethoscope on different parts of the engine to isolate where it is coming from.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Figure anything out on the noise

and is it always there cold only, hot only ?

Quick Reply: Car Stalls When Low RPM