General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering fluid seeping through coolant lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power steering fluid seeping through coolant lines

My 99 Firehawk M6 has been losing power steering fluid. After looking for a leak w no luck I did some research, and found an old thread about the power steering cooler failing, and allowing power steering fluid to contaminate the antifreeze, and vice versa. I believe this is my problem, and the power steering fluid is seeping through my coolant lines, there completely coated. The pictures in the thread show this as well. Is this common? Also, I looked on GM Parts Direct, and have found all part numbers I need to replace all coolant lines except the supply, and return lines from t stat housing to heater core " long contorted lines that go from rubber to pressure line, and back" if someone knows part numbers. PM with any input. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

This is a very common problem. I imagine this will eventually happen to all the models that were originally equipped with the PS cooler.

Many people just delete the factory cooler, and either install an aftermarket air-to-fluid cooler, or no cooler at all (which was the OEM pratice for the '98-'99 Z28/Formula/Trans Am).

Here is a thread that covers this topic in detail:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

As for the replacement heater lines, you can use generic heater hose and delete the compression fittings. Regular clamps will be fine, those lines are under no greater pressure than any other part of the cooling system (which uses normal clamps everywhere else). There was a thread in the not-so-distant past that outlined the deletion of these compression fittings. The screen name of the member that posted this thread was LS6427 (he also has a great write-up posted about flushing the cooling system after it has been contaminated with PS fluid).

Last edited by RPM WS6; 08-21-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: link fixed

Quick Reply: power steering fluid seeping through coolant lines