General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C starts blowing warm, then radiator cracks!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default A/C starts blowing warm, then radiator cracks!?

Hey guys.. So I noticed my A/C was starting to progressively get warmer and warmer, now it just blows warm air.
Well, I figured it might just be the system needing to be recharged then I look and see there is a crack on the passenger side of my radiator! *see pic* and coolant is gushing out...

I'm unfamiliar with how A/C & the Radiator work together, so thoughts? :3
Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The radiator really has no relationship or connection at all with the AC system. The condenser does sit in front of the radiator, but they are not attached in any way.

The only thing that can maybe cause an issue is if your condenser somehow gets clogged or the exterior gets so jammed with dirt that the condenser overheats....causing the radiator to not get proper airflow and then cause an engine overheat situation.....then maybe crack from over pressure. But the over pressure should blow into the overflow tank.......

Have you had an engine overheat issue.....?

It's also possible that the condenser may have a leak in that same area......

Did you have an impact to the front bumper....? Maybe someone backed into you and didn't leave much damage.....but the radiator and condenser can flex and crack.....

Old 08-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Possible you had a fan die, thus losing your a/c and overheating the cooling system causing a radiator failure. Need more diagnosis to determine the actual cause.

Most modern cars if they are overheating the computer will kill the a/c compressor if it's at all possible. Not sure if that's how the setup is on these but it is like that one certain vehicles.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't seen the car overheat at all during my years of owning the car, and both fans do come on when the A/C is turned on...

The car hasn't been in a collision before and it doesn't look like anyone hit me either, either way I'm going to be ordering an LT1 radiator since Advance has a great Labor day sale going on. I'll take it off and update the more info I find!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In case anyone is following this, I got my radiator in tonight, I'm going to slap that in and update!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't it like a $110.00 radiator from any parts store? Anyway, odds are the radiator is one problem and the A/C, another. The rad is more important by far, so replacing it is the right approach.

Once that's done, maybe get some freon with leak detector and see if that's the issue, keeping in mind, freon doesn't simply disappear or "die" in the system. It can lose some cooling ability over time, but it won't likely ever go to the point of just blowing warm air. The odds are strong, you have a leak in the A/C system as well. If it's gone, there's a leak.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

radiators do not crack from cooling system pressure. something had to hit it, and that being the case also most likely damaged the AC condenser and lines which are right there causing a refrigerant leak. my guess is someone pulled the battery and when placing back in dropped it on the ac line which hit the radiator and cracked the plastic
Old 09-12-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I got the LT1 radiator installed and everything appears to be working with no leaks from there. --- Too bad I pop the hood after driving it for 20-30 minutes and see that coolant is leaking from either the block or the water pump....

There was even a small pool of coolant on the passenger side intake manifold...
Not sure if I should make a new thread for this or not.

Quick Reply: A/C starts blowing warm, then radiator cracks!?