General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

BCM Questions/ Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM Questions/ Car Won't Start

My girlfriend's 2000 3.8 Firebird won't start. Here are the symptoms if anyone can help. When you turn the key, you can hear something click near the engine but nothing happens. All the lights and electronics in the car work. We couldn't get the thing jumped off no matter how hard we tried. The security light flashes when you turn the key. This leads me to believe it's something with the VATS. I know I can bypass it which I will probably try unless someone else has a better idea. I'm also curious if it could be the BCM. The reason I ask this is because a few months ago, her alarm would randomly go off all the time for no reason. Also, her radio will shut off along with her power window switches when she hits a bump or something occasionally. I have a firebird myself, and I was wondering if there was anyway to tell if the BCM in my car would work in hers other than plugging it up and giving it a go. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Teching In

I'm having a similar problem with my daughters 96 Z 28. Her car has been down for a week. Security light flashing and no cranking. According to the research I've done, your problem regarding the windows, radio etc.. is in the BCM. You can try removing the circuit board and resodering the joints around the relays. If you google it you will find pictures so you know exactly what you're looking at.

The security light and no start can also be related to the BCM. You need to check the ohm reading on your key and see if you're getting the same reading at the BCM with the key on. If you're not, then there is a problem with your key or a break in the wiring. The wires to the BCM are purple with a white tracer and white with a black tracer. Google VATS bypass for more information. AS for my daughters car, I'm about ready to use a can of lighter fluid and a match to fix it. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can do. Does anyone know if the security light will flash if the starter is down too? I'm just trying to isolate whatever symptom I can, so I can change as little as possible. The car is also parked at her work parking lot, so if anyone knows of a handy trick to at least get it started once with either of these problems so I can get it back to my house that would save me a lot of trouble.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Teching In

If the starter was bad everything would function as it should..just no start. If your security light is flashing its Vats related.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Will the solenoid or starter get a signal at all if the VATS is malfunctioning?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Teching In

No, if I have this correct it's a yellow wire with a black tracer that sends the signal to activate the relay for the starter. The relay is in the BCM. I don't have the diagrams in front of me right now so I'm not 100% postive. I'm going to the junk yard tomorrow to look for a BCM with the ignition cylinder and key. If I find them, I'm going to just swap everything out.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Teching In

The car runs. I tested the orange ignition wire under the steering column for the ohm rating on the key and got nothing. This led me to rig up the VATS bypass, and the car cranked right up. I also pulled the BCM and the car clearly has a bad solder joint on the module for the windows and radio, but at least the car runs. I'll fix the other things later. Good luck to anyone else with similar problems.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Teching In

If the quick fix doesnt work here is what you need to do. I ordered the bypass module from www.HawksThirdgencamaroparts.com. The part was $60.00. I followed the directions and the car did not start. Here is what I did to get it running. The module is needed and does work.

I did get the module to work. I had to take the ground wire and ground it to the yellow wire/with black tracer and the car started. The security light is still on. Is that normal? Here is what I did:

Red wire from the module to the pink wire on the BCM (C3 Pin D5)
Black wire from module to black wire on BCM (C3 pin 1)
Blue wire from module to dark blue wire on BCM (C3 Pin D8)

Car would not start. I then took the yellow wire with the black tracer (C3 Pin C11) and grounded it to the black wire C3 Pin C1 and the car started. If I used the green wire from the module instead of the blue, the car would start and stall. The green is for cars prior to 1996.

Bill (ht1663wb@aol.com)

Quick Reply: BCM Questions/ Car Won't Start