General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can Anyone Help Identify These Two Leaks? 2001 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can Anyone Help Identify These Two Leaks? 2001 WS6

Hello everyone,

If there's anyone browsing that can help me identify what these two leaks are and what might be causing them I would be very appreciative! I noticed one of them about a week ago after I noticed a very "fishy" kind of smell coming from the car, then I noticed a small drip pool under the car in a parking lot where I had parked. When I touched the drip pool the liquid was near clear with no real tint in color in any direction. My initial thought is some kind of coolant leak.

The second is definitely oil, but I'm not sure what's causing it other than initially thinking it's a hose/gasket in the general area.

The first leak is on the passenger side of the block, most of these pics are from below, obviously, with the last one from up top looking down.

The second leak is over to the driver's side of the block

Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw you had no replies and I have no real advice other to just clean up what you can, then turn the car on let it warm up and start looking. Good luck to you and be patient
Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The driver's side leak is power steering fluid.

On the passenger side, it almost looks like condensation dripping off the A/C suction line. If that's the case, don't worry about it.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, on closer inspection, I see the passenger side leak on the compressor has a red tinge to it. Check coolant connections at thermostat, heater hoses and coolant bypass.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Is that the original, factory steering rack??
It is leaking right about where mine is right now, out of that seal.

It seems the only solution is a new or remanned rack, and the extreme pain, (or expense if you have someone else do it), and re-alignment, of installing it.

Is there any noise, or play when you turn the wheel??
Eventually the leak will get worse, to the point where you will be topping off the reservoir after each time you use the car for more than a short trip.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Actually, on closer inspection, I see the passenger side leak on the compressor has a red tinge to it. Check coolant connections at thermostat, heater hoses and coolant bypass.
If that fluid was clear/golden in color, would that mean a compressor oil/refrigerant leak??
Old 10-09-2013, 05:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 328 Likes on 300 Posts

Yea - It is likely coolant. When the water pump seals start to go and the pump weep hole starts weeping, the coolant can cascade down and show up on these parts, including the AC compressor.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies and guidance guys

Yes, it does have a red tint to it, which is odd since the drip pool was, as I said, basically clear.

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Is that the original, factory steering rack??
It is leaking right about where mine is right now, out of that seal.

It seems the only solution is a new or remanned rack, and the extreme pain, (or expense if you have someone else do it), and re-alignment, of installing it.

Is there any noise, or play when you turn the wheel??
Eventually the leak will get worse, to the point where you will be topping off the reservoir after each time you use the car for more than a short trip.
Yes, original steering rack, but no noise or issues when driving/steering of any kind. I think that the gunk is just buildup of the leaking fluid kind of burning onto the metal there over time.

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yea - It is likely coolant. When the water pump seals start to go and the pump weep hole starts weeping, the coolant can cascade down and show up on these parts, including the AC compressor.
Again, thanks!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would the lucas power steering stop leak work for this?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 328 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by anotherreject04
Would the lucas power steering stop leak work for this?
I'm sure the fine folks at Lucas would tell you it might. (no gaurantees on this type of thing)

IMO - Better to fix the source of the problem vs. trying to put a band-aid on it and risk the issue blowing up worse.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
I'm sure the fine folks at Lucas would tell you it might. (no gaurantees on this type of thing)

IMO - Better to fix the source of the problem vs. trying to put a band-aid on it and risk the issue blowing up worse.

Yes, agreed, but IF it was a VERY VERY small, slow leak, there is that slight chance you've mentioned of the Lucas snot stopping it, or slowing it to the point of not mattering.
This stuff, or the ATP-205 reseal seem to be the ONLY things that work for leaking racks (given the conditions mentioned above) for most people.

If it is almost pouring out, or pumping/spurting like a severed artery (like mine at present), then you are dropping the k member and doing A LOT of work.

Quick Reply: Can Anyone Help Identify These Two Leaks? 2001 WS6