General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Interior lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior lights stay on

I hope someone can help because I cant figure it out.

Everything was fine, the car sat for one week with the trickle charge hooked up. when I tried to start it the battery was completely gone... down to 6 volts.

So I figured a cell went bad or something and changed the battery, car started up fine but when I started driving I noticed my interior lights were on. So I thought that must have been the problem that killed my first battery, but no! the dimmer switch near the headlights was about in the middle brightness setting and works fine. I cant get the interior lights to turn off??

2002 SS with lots of mods
Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Normally when I lock the car with the remote it turns off the lights inside. That doesn't work.

Also after 10 minutes the car normally shuts down and turns off everything. That doesn't work either!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Gotta ask - Have you checked the dial that controls the dimming of the cluster lights to make sure it isn't to the position where it turns on the interior lights? If so, I'd check again.

If that isn't it, put the key in the ignition (car off) and open the door to check the door sensor. You should get a chime if its working correctly.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well this just got even more strange. I was going to just look at some wires or see if I could find the problem yesterday, when I got out to the car everything worked fine!

So I jumped in and went for a drive, thats when my drivers side power window stopped working halfway down.... I started cursing and drove it home. When I got home it was working again!

I dont know much about wiring and electronics, but is this a lose connection or a bundle of wires shorting out? any ideas where I should start looking would be helpful. Thanks for your time
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Possibly could be bcm, any strange issues with the radio cutting off?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You window is probably a different issue and a classic cutoff failure of the window motor.

Did you try the **** and key chime?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by anotherreject04
Possibly could be bcm, any strange issues with the radio cutting off?
I never turn the radio on...... The BCM is the black box near the passenger feet? I will look at that next.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wssix99
You window is probably a different issue and a classic cutoff failure of the window motor.

Did you try the **** and key chime?
It could be a different issue, but I find it to be to much of a coincidence.

The dimmer switch worked dimming the guages, but it wouldnt turn off the interior lights when I had the problem. I didnt think to check the key chime at the time.

Im going to follow every wire I can this weekend and let you guys know if I find anything.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 PM

Hey i was just wondering if you ever got this figured out? When i got my car all the dome lights were unhooked and i soon discovered when you hook them up they never go off, I checked and they get a constant ground from the bcm even when i disconnect all door and hatch sensors it never fades the ground out. At the moment i bent the ground prong on the bcm out of the way so i can just use the mirror lights by switch. I'm looking at some used bcm's on ebay just wondering if thats what it took to fix yours.

Quick Reply: Interior lights stay on