General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering hose question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering hose question

Is it possible to replace the hoses without taking the pump off? I believe one of mine is leaking and I'm trying to prepare for what I'll need to do the job.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you can.. there was a video the other day posted on replacing the pump, and the only thing that would come out is fluid. Maybe cap it off, I'm sure someone will chime on.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced my pressure hose without removing the pump. The return line is even easier.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Launching!

yes just a PITA
Old 10-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I replaced my pressure hose without removing the pump. The return line is even easier.
Awesome! Any how-tos on it?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Might be faster just taking it off, those little damn nipples are gonna be a paint to pull and cap off
Old 10-24-2013, 01:23 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by jlm_photo
Awesome! Any how-tos on it?
I did a search on here for power steering hose or something along those lines. It's pretty straight forward, though. You just need patience getting the fitting loose that goes to the pump since there's very minimal range of motion in that spot; it'd be a lot easier if you have crows feet.

You should also take a look at this thread and consider getting rid of your OE cooler: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html
Old 10-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

You should also take a look at this thread and consider getting rid of your OE cooler: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html
I did some research on the subject but was a little confused. Are most people getting rid of it completely or just replacing it with a better one? My car is a DD with no autox or track time. Maybe one day I'll get to do it but right now its just a road car. Any suggestions?
Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I did some research on the subject but was a little confused. Are most people getting rid of it completely or just replacing it with a better one? My car is a DD with no autox or track time. Maybe one day I'll get to do it but right now its just a road car. Any suggestions?
If I did it over again I would NOT add an aftermarket cooler -- I'd just get the new upper hose and be done with it.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

If I did it over again I would NOT add an aftermarket cooler -- I'd just get the new upper hose and be done with it.
Thank for all the info. I've been reading the thread on it. Still making my mind up.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

If you don't mind me asking why would you not put a cooler on?
Old 10-25-2013, 11:59 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I don't feel as though it actually makes a difference considering the limited location we have to mount them. The factory cooler acts as a heat exchanger (like the coolant that runs through the throttle body) rather than an actual cooler. You'll also notice in that thread there is empirical evidence suggesting that things are remaining stable without the coolers.

Further, it's less clutter and one less thing to leak
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

I don't feel as though it actually makes a difference considering the limited location we have to mount them. The factory cooler acts as a heat exchanger (like the coolant that runs through the throttle body) rather than an actual cooler. You'll also notice in that thread there is empirical evidence suggesting that things are remaining stable without the coolers.

Further, it's less clutter and one less thing to leak
That is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you. I believe I'm gonna go without and see how it goes.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it possible to replace the hoses without taking the pump off? I believe one of mine is leaking and I'm trying to prepare for what I'll need to do the job.
Just replaced my High Pressure hose which was shot. Pretty straightforward but removing the top of the hose was a PITA since the pulley got in the way. Just unbolt the bottom of the hose and let it drain. Also make sure to seal the ends when you unbolt them because you don't want to get any sort of fluids on your belt when you try to remove your hose. I just cut off the finger of a latex glove and put it over the end of the hose and used a rubber band to secure it on.

If you're not autox'ing or racing, you can get by without the need for a cooler.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by M4N14C
If you're not autox'ing or racing, you can get by without the need for a cooler.
Thanks for the info. I don't plan on doing any now. Just spirited road driving. I'll install one later once I plan on doing some racing. How long did it take to do the hose swap?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info. I don't plan on doing any now. Just spirited road driving. I'll install one later once I plan on doing some racing. How long did it take to do the hose swap?
Was my first time so a couple hours. But if you know what you're doing it can be done in less than 30 min.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:28 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I changed the high pressure hose and it was quite easy, took maybe 15 minutes. Just snake it in there and tighten each end.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

So I'm finally about to replace the whole steering rack... So far I've replaced the pump, pulley, high pressure hose and put on an aftermarket cooler. After doing all that I noticed I've still got a leak from the rack and the other hose that connects into the rack. Where can I find that other hose? I don't see it listed on any parts house website. Is it a GM only part?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So I'm finally about to replace the whole steering rack... So far I've replaced the pump, pulley, high pressure hose and put on an aftermarket cooler. After doing all that I noticed I've still got a leak from the rack and the other hose that connects into the rack. Where can I find that other hose? I don't see it listed on any parts house website. Is it a GM only part?
Try replacing the o rings on the connectors that screw into the rack..
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Burken01
Try replacing the o rings on the connectors that screw into the rack..
The hose seems to be leaking from where the metal part of the hose mates with the rubber portion.

Quick Reply: Power steering hose question