General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

pulley/tensioner/AC noise question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it the factory original HB/damper??

They are definitely NOT an eternal, 'never wears out, lasts forever' item.

The elastomers in them (in between the hub and the actual pulley part) are not made to last for more than about 8-10 years max, regardless of mileage/usage.

Of course now there will be 20 people coming on here saying that the original, 15 year old factory one still on their 600 rwhp stroker is doing just fine (or SO they think).

Anyway, I am not sure that a worn out harmonic balancer/damper could cause the noise you are describing, but it might.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

yeah its not an ugly sound.

just pops up when ever i use the A/C or when its cold or humid outside..

I have the GM belt on the way so i am hoping that will be the quick fix.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Never got around to putting the belt on. We had some real bad winter weather here in dallas a week or so ago.. The old squeak is back full time now , not as loud as it was before but it gets louder when i turn the A/C on..

Going to order this GM replacement belt and cross my fingers.
very annoying
Old 01-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Update

the squeak came back louder than ever after a bad rain storm and some humidity.

I just replaced the autozone belt with the GM belt. Still squeaks. not as bad but still there. I replaced all my pulleys , and tensioner but 1. So would it be safe to say that it is most likely that one pulley ? I am about to just give in and take it to a mechanic. this is my daily driver and its driving me nuts dealing with the squeak .
Old 02-23-2014, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had similar experience - replaced 7-year old water pump (was leaking anyway) and repacked the idler pulley. After I did all this, the squeek was still there. Then I saw the post about dripping water on the belt! Did that and the squeek went away instantly, and then returned. Replaced belt with Advance part. Squeek then came back about 2 weeks later!

Awaiting a replacement idler pulley. If it doesn't solve the problem, I'll go for a NAPA belt. I was wondering if it would matter if, as the engine was running, to scuff up the smooth side of the belt with some sandpaper and see if that eliminates the squeek.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

One of the things I've thought about is whether the main drive tension is sufficient. When I change the belt, I certainly have to pull on the tensionor pretty strongly, and it doesn't appear to me to be any weaker. It is the original tensionor, with over 100k miles on it. The pulley itself is fine.

I've had the tensionor on the AC circuit fail. It just got stuck and had no tension. I've replaced that one. Oddly, that belt never made any noise.

So, I'm going to find a Goodyear Gatorback belt. The specs look like a 6 groove, 79" belt, and have found, on the Goodyear site, part number 4060790. Looks like its available from a number of websites.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

I got so fed up with the main drive tensioner that I went to a manual Katech unit.
Some on here also like the Comp Cams version, and one other I cannot remember the name of.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I finally got the Goodyear belt and the squeal is GONE!

Quick Reply: pulley/tensioner/AC noise question