General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

what oil to run.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
maybe so, but i also think part of the motivation was that they wanted to make it seem like the vette was more 'upscale' and exclusive by using m1 as the factory fill.
bingo!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by BWZ_2k2Z28
So you think you would have to rebuild the engine around 100k if you used conventional oil instead of synthetic?
Absolutely not. I think I could have rebuilt it for less money than I spent on synthetic for my first 100K. (Illustrating that it may not be worth the raw expense over time, if one is buying it so the "engine lasts longer." There are other reasons to choose it.)

In the end, I personally still use it - but more for added insurance when I (forget to change my oil on time, want to save the planet by using non-petroleum lubricants, keep up with the Jones', impress the auto parts store clerk, regurgitate what I hear in commercials, <insert reason here>).
Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Ohh ok I gotcha. Yea I don't have anything against the synthetics. I just hate when people think that synthetics are superior to a good conventional oil.

To each his own.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

I just hate when people think that synthetics are superior to a good conventional oil.
Certain synthetics are superior in some measureable aspects, whether or not this matters for your specific application is the only matter for debate.

In fact, even certain conventionals are superior to other conventionals in some regards (for example, high ZDDP content oil vs. normal GF-4 rating and beyond oils), but again this may or may not matter depending on the application.

It is wrong to assume that all oils of a given grade are exactly equal/the same. Some are better for certain purposes/applications, and some are just plain superior at being lubricants (again, whether or not this actually equals longer engine life will depend on the application/usage).

I know I sound like a broken record with this, but there is a ton of factual oil info on sites like BITOG.com. Countless VOAs and UOAs have show differences between various oil compositions, as well as how these oils have performed back-to-back in the same engines.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Launching!

Sure some synthetics protect BETTER. Sure there's plenty of threads on other sites with data proving it. Hell, there are even kits you can buy to test the oil out yourself. But being that none of these engines ever fail because of which oil you run, I have to ask myself if I'm actually prolonging the life of this engine with synthetic oil or just wasting roughly $20 extra dollars each oil change. Like is this synthetic oil gonna get me 10k more miles than conventional would? My answer would be maybe but you'd never be able to prove it one way or the other. There's too many variables. But what I DO KNOW is a synthetic oil change with a reputable brand is at least $35. Conventional shouldn't be more than $25. $10 ain't much today but hell $10 is gas that can be used for highway passes and other hoodrat stuff.

Last edited by BWZ_2k2Z28; 12-05-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:21 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Like is this synthetic oil gonna get me 10k more miles than conventional would? My answer would be maybe but you'd never be able to prove it one way or the other. There's too many variables.
In general I agree, however you *can* do UOAs on different brands and types of oil, in your same engine, back to back, under the same general conditions, and see which ones show best results for your application in said UOA. Again, it's not 100% proof that the engine will last longer, since there are things that could still fail no matter what oil is used, but it does give you an idea of how different oils perform in your application.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I know I sound like a broken record with this, but there is a ton of factual oil info on sites like BITOG.com. Countless VOAs and UOAs have show differences between various oil compositions, as well as how these oils have performed back-to-back in the same engines.
Again, YES!!

This site will "open your eyes", and show you just how little all of the 'old timers' (and their 'old wives' tales') actually know about oils/lubricants.

They may be able to build a 900 HP NA LSx in their sleep, with one hand tied behind their back, but that does NOT guarantee they know anything about actual oil.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam I just read this whole thread, hell of a lot of opinions. A lot of good info too.
Mobil-1 syn here.
I am interested the used oil analysis. What does this cost?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Launching!

From what I understand, most synthetics are nothing more than a higher grade of conventional oil in that it is composed of a higher percentage of stable molecules. So they are all dyno oils. If you change a synthetic every 3000 miles, I would think you are throwing money away. Now there are synthetics, such as the M1 0w40, which are mineral-based oils and IMO are a better class of oil.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Best priced synthetic...
Old 12-08-2013, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LopeyZ
Now there are synthetics, such as the M1 0w40, which are mineral-based oils and IMO are a better class of oil.

M1 0W-40 is actually Visom based, which is Exxon Mobil's own proprietary base stock which supposedly rivals most "real" or "true" synthetic group 4 and 5 (PAO/POE) base stocks.

This oil (their 0W-40), used to be a high percentage group 4 (PAO) base stock more than 3-4 years ago.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dailydriver
M1 0W-40 is actually Visom based, which is Exxon Mobil's own proprietary base stock which supposedly rivals most "real" or "true" synthetic group 4 and 5 (PAO/POE) base stocks.

This oil (their 0W-40), used to be a high percentage group 4 (PAO) base stock more than 3-4 years ago.
Thanks for clarifying that but I guess the point I was trying to make was that it is different than traditional synthetics.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LopeyZ
Thanks for clarifying that but I guess the point I was trying to make was that it is different than traditional synthetics.
True, as far as 'traditional' group 4/5 based synthetics go, but it IS one of the best oils on this planet overall, regardless of base stock composition, and is leaps and bounds ahead of pretty much every 'on the shelf at Wal Mart' synthetics, save for maybe Pennzoil Ultra, which is GTL (gas to liquid) based.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the M1 0W-40 should be better than the 5W 30? I have access to both.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbirdls1
So the M1 0W-40 should be better than the 5W 30? I have access to both.
Based on what Ive been told and read, the 0W40 is better because the oil flows a lot better at cold start up and that is the hardest part on any motor and also the 5w30 tends to break down to almost a 20 weight when its warm, not to mention the 0w40 is a european blend so it has more additives in it. When I go to change the oil in the spring I will send it out for an oil analysis to see what it says. My buddy can grab the kits from work so it wont cost me anything.

I change my oil every 3k in my cars and never have any issues. I just use m1 in my camaro because thats what Ive always used. When I pulled the original motor with 225k it was extremely clean and ran great.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

As long as u change your oil & filter every 3,000 miles, u should be ok with whatever...I have run rotella or mobil one in my vehicles and have no problems....running a good filter is more important than anything, run a ac delco or wix filter they are great........DO NOT run a basic fram or off brand filter...good way to ruin a motor over years and years of use...just my 2 cents
Old 12-11-2013, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Based on what Ive been told and read, the 0W40 is better because the oil flows a lot better at cold start up and that is the hardest part on any motor and also the 5w30 tends to break down to almost a 20 weight when its warm, not to mention the 0w40 is a european blend so it has more additives in it.
Yes, it has more of most of the usual additives in it, and especially more calcium, boron, etc. to give it a higher starting TBN, which helps resist acids, combustion blow by, and fuel dilution, etc.
The EP versions of M1 are the only other ones in their lineup which have a very good starting TBN, so that they can be rated as 15K mile oils.

As long as you live somewhere that does not see ridiculously low ambient temps when you are starting/using your LS1, it is one of the best oils to put into these cars.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up 6 quarts of European blend Castrol Edge with Syntec (SAE 0W-40) today and a Wix 51522 long filter. Hoping to see good results. I live in a warm climate except for like 2.5 months out of the year. No snow, just temps down to around 20.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Awake455
Start with a quality oil and have it analyzed regularly. The engine will tell you what it likes and dislikes. Anything else is based on tradition, someone else's engine, marketing, or habit.

For example, in my boosted LS1, the oil analysis suggested Mobil 1 was totally inadequate. I've wound up with a 0W-30 Castrol and run it to 7,000ish miles. The chemical analysis shows no reason to change it sooner. In fact it suggests I run the oil longer but I get nervous.

Another example: In my (now sold) Silverado with the 8100, the analysis showed the conventional 5W-30s were breaking down from heat and showing a bit of bearing wear. The suggestion was made, based on what Blackstone has seen in the past on these engines, that I try a synthetic 5W-40 diesel oil. The results were much better, the oil tested well, and was good for 8,000-9,000 miles consistently.

In both these cases it was vehicles I beat on pretty hard (or towed with quite heavily). The analysis suggested I could have run the oils longer.

On the other hand, in a POS 96 Civic with 160K that I use as a commuter (150 miles per day for work), the analysis shows regular old Napa 5W-30 is still protecting it very well at 15,000 miles.

I say again, start with a quality oil, get it analyzed, and let your engine tell you what it wants.
I quoted this because it is the BEST response I have seen in this thread and it was barely, if at all acknowledged.

You can talk to engine builders, race car teams, regular old Billy-Bob who has run STP additives since Richard Petty was racing the Charger, or the internet warrior who reads bobistheoilguy.com forums while on their **** break at work, and they will all have a different response on the oil they run and why.

Who cares why they say? What actually matters is how your engine responds to the oil that is in it. The only way to know how well it is or isn't working is by doing an oil analysis. Let the engine tell the story, not an engine shop who is in bed with a specific brand, or some guy who blames a Fram filter and Mobil 1 for blowing up their engine.

With that said, I have over 200K miles on an LT1 that has had damn near every oil ran in it with every different filter since 97.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ajzcamaro
I picked up 6 quarts of European blend Castrol Edge with Syntec (SAE 0W-40) today and a Wix 51522 long filter. Hoping to see good results. I live in a warm climate except for like 2.5 months out of the year. No snow, just temps down to around 20.
You'll be fine with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what oil to run.