General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Traction control popping

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction control popping

If I spin the tires with traction control on it will spit the gas pedal back at me and something in the rear of the car sounds like it's popping, pretty loud and you can feel it. Real bad if I try and do a light launch with TCS on. If I turn off the TCS then the car will spin or hook or anything I want without the popping. Same goes for wet streets, spin and the low trac light comes on and the car begins the popping..... It almost feels like the car is jumping teeth on the rear or some mess. I know that's not the case but you can feel the bucking when it pops.

Thanks fellas. First time to own a car with traction control
Old 11-22-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the car jurking when this happens? If so could be a bad bushing.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

You can feel it bucking or jerking. Would it be a tq arm bushing? Something sure pops and bucks. Doesn't do it without TC on. So it could be result of the brakes applying to slow the rear spin
Old 11-23-2013, 06:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGliderX
If I spin the tires with traction control on it will spit the gas pedal back at me and something in the rear
Isn't this what traction control is supposed to do? Try to act to keep the wheels from spinning?

If its the sound that bothers you, I'd have someone watch your brake calipers when this happens and see if there is any movement there. (Maybe you have a loose caliper?)
Old 11-23-2013, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I understand the pedal is doin it's job and overall I believe the traction control is operating fine. The tq arm bushing looks good, I'm gonna have some one watch the clippers and rear for me and see if anything is loose. Just a visual inspection and all seems ok. All bushings look good. I'll put a wrench on a few bolts and check tightness.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

If you have the OEM assembly line Torsen carrier ,it is going to act weird. Because of the Torsens' internal worm gearing,sometimes it goes to slack and then catch up and engage.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The TCS is supposed to give you haptic feedback to your gas pedal. It kicks back, that is part of the normal function. To let you know when the wheels are slipping.

The other thing the TCS does is to activate the ABS braking system to prevent a spin out under slippery road conditions. The popping you are experiencing is the brakes being activated to prevent wheel spin.

You can't do a power launch with the TCS on. This is not a sophisticated traction control like you might find on a newer Corvette, it only tries to prevent wheel spin.

There are modules available that plug in behind the TCS switch the will change the default setting to always off instead of the always on stock setting. Or you can just hit the button to turn it off each time you start the car.

The TCS in these cars is next to useless, it exists only to keep an inexperienced driver from spinning out and losing control under conditions of too much power for road conditions. It will actively prevent you from making a clean power launch.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

That could be it on the rear. Torsen catching slack. I knew the TCS wouldn't really aid in launch I was just looking to see if anyone else had experienced a popping issue. Thanks fellas all looks tight. Gonna pull rear apart to locate a roar this week. May see something inside. Thanks again
Old 12-09-2013, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

I think I have figured it out. I think it's wheel hop. Take it out in rain and it spins smooth and free. The pop I'm hearing may just be the harshness of the hop

Quick Reply: Traction control popping