General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

34/78 group size battery fit??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 34/78 group size battery fit??

Will a 34/78 group size Odyssey/Platinum battery fit on top of our coolant overflow reservoir IF the little 'lip'/edge is broken off of the mounting surface (like they all do), or is there still too much overhang and width with this size battery??

I am NOT relocating to the passenger wheel well at this point, so please, no suggestions for that.

Thanks In advance,

Dave H.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

ANYONE???

The edge/lip of the tank's top/tray is broken off (like so many/almost all of them do), so the width should be NO problem, and I am using one of those Year One alloy hold down brackets (bolts to the headlight support brace mounting point).

Has ANYONE done this??????????
Old 12-11-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm looking into it also.
I'm replacing a duralast gold 75DT-DLG and compared it to the duralast gold 78DLG in my k2500 suburban. Depth and height are identical as would be expected. Measuring the width indicates the larger 78 will fit if the lip is cut off the overflow tank base. It may fit with the lip intact, but very close. However I use an aftermarket radiator that will be slightly different than your setup.

I say try it. But why do you need a different hold down clamp? The OEM works well.

I'm searching for alternatives to duralast gold. I like the Duralast platinum and Diehard platinums but not their price.

Also, it seems in several cases the dual terminal "DT" versions of each battery are actually cheaper than the side mount only versions.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...amaro-z28.html

Also different radiator.

Just do it.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...amaro-z28.html

Also different radiator.

Just do it.

THANKS!!

That is the EXACT battery I want to use, and I have that same EXACT hold down from Year One!
I am guessing the Vista Pro LT1 radiator I have will not interfere any more than his Be Cool unit??
Old 12-11-2013, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just installed a 34/78 DT Diehard Platinum from Sears. Did not remove the lip adjacent to reservoir neck. Removed 1/4" of front base clip from passenger side. The fore and aft battery ribs are closed at the ends and will interfere. Used OEM clamp to secure.

It fits perfectly. Sliding the battery in was very tight and had to have radiator cap off. I have a Howe race radiator so your fitment may be different.

The Diehard is $26 off through internet. Print the page out and show it to cashier. He can enter the coupon code to match internet price $207. My cashier was a dick about it until I started leaving, then he miraculously discovered the code. AFAIK the Platinum is manufactured by Odyssey and was the best bang for the buck I could find at 850 CCA with a 4 year warranty and AGM. Next best is the Duralast Platinum AGM.

Next up will be 170 Alternator and thicker supply and return wire.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

I also got the internet price in store (my local store did not have internet order, in store pickup) by telling the sales person to look up the internet price.

I also had a Rewards Club $25.00 off card I never used, so he gave me that off as well,

$181.99 + tax for one of the best batteries on the planet is not too shabby!

The sad part is that I heard that Sears will be dropping EnerSys/Odyssey COMPLETELY as their top of the line Platinum battery supplier in the near future.

I'm guessing this is because everything else below these in their lineup is made by either East Penn/Deka, or Johnson Controls, and they probably want to keep their whole line within those two manufacturers.

It seems we will have to pay the price markup for an Odyssey labelled power source ~10 or so years from now (the PC1500 DT 34/78 from them retails at $305.99 ).

I also want to get a 150-200 amp alternator as well, since these things LOVE high current charging (Odyssey recommends at least a 25 amp charge setting even for maintenance/'float' charging!).
Old 12-14-2013, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

My Platinum 34/78 is touching the corner/edge of the A/C condenser (not the tube, but the actual condenser frame).

I squeezed some high density foam between the battery and condenser.
Everything is solid and tight, with no movement at all, but is it OK to be making contact with the condenser??

Meent, anyone???

I am also getting an Odyssey OMAX 25 amp charger, which is SPECIFICALLY made for these batteries (and ONLY these batteries) with pre-programmed algorithms installed, to keep this thing healthy and hopefully alive for 10+ more years.

Last edited by dailydriver; 12-14-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

can you shave off some of the condenser frame? Or, enlarge the slots it uses to mount to radiator and slide it over a hair. Probably a lot of work for second one.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
My Platinum 34/78 is touching the corner/edge of the A/C condenser (not the tube, but the actual condenser frame).

I squeezed some high density foam between the battery and condenser.
Everything is solid and tight, with no movement at all, but is it OK to be making contact with the condenser??

Meent, anyone???

I am also getting an Odyssey OMAX 25 amp charger, which is SPECIFICALLY made for these batteries (and ONLY these batteries) with pre-programmed algorithms installed, to keep this thing healthy and hopefully alive for 10+ more years.
I wouldn't think that touching the condenser would be a great thing, but I also don't think it would cause any major issues. The condenser shouldn't move during normal vehicle operation, just like the battery, so I'd think it would be okay.

I'm guessing mine didn't touch since I had a larger radiator that moved the condenser a touch forward...all I remember having to do was bend the hard line a bit and that was that.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I wouldn't think that touching the condenser would be a great thing, but I also don't think it would cause any major issues. The condenser shouldn't move during normal vehicle operation, just like the battery, so I'd think it would be okay.

I'm guessing mine didn't touch since I had a larger radiator that moved the condenser a touch forward...all I remember having to do was bend the hard line a bit and that was that.
THANKS!

Quick Reply: 34/78 group size battery fit??