General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas pedal is giving me hell

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gas pedal is giving me hell

Alright, so I finally was able to get a daily driver and give the 02 Z28 a break from the daily grind. Its been about 5 months total now, but it has developed an issue and today almost got me in a wreck when i pulled into traffic. Basically my gas pedal wont go down. Sometimes its just a little stiff so its hard to start smooth. However, tonight it took me a lot of force to get it to go as i panicked with traffic coming at me from behind. I'll try to explain it the best I can. When first applying force it doesn't move at all. its like pushing against a wall, however with a bit of force it gives and everything from 1% to WOT is all grand and smooth with no issues, but getting it to that 1% is the issue. I plan on working on it this weekend but its been insanely cold here in central Texas and my daily (g35) went down last week so Ive been relying on the camaro. The throttle body is an aftermarket throttle body. (80mm BBK) I already plan on getting the cleaner out and cleaning it thoroughly but input from you guys would be great. kinda give me something to work with.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Especially with the cold, my first suspect would be a frozen throttle cable. This is a very dangerous condition...
Old 12-12-2013, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first thought that comes to mind with the aftermarket throttle body is did you hook up the coolant hoses to it? or did you do the throttle body bypass mod ? if so the throttle body may be freezing up and sticking, and if it is good luck with insurance if you get into an accident.
it's very easy to undo the throttle cable and work the throttle body lever by hand. if the sticking happens immediately after you start the car before you start driving, i would lean towards a bad cable being the problem. but if everything is fine then starts to happen after driving, it may be the throttle body freezing up if the coolant hoses aren't connected to it (which is why those are there).
Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Teching In

I had the very same problem on my Camaro, I adjusted the throttle body because it was idling a little to high, after that the pedal was like a wall when I would try to push it down and I would wind up flooring it everytime but once it moved it would work just fine, come to fond out I backed the adjusters screw off too far and the butterfly was getting stuck, I ran the adjusting screw in a tid bit and it was good after that, I would check that out, back that screw out like a half a turn(maybe more to see if it helps nut remeber thats you idle adjustment), then go push the pedal and see if it helps
Old 12-13-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also carbon will build up and make the throttle blade stick coming off idle. Some TB cleaner will take care of that, pop off your intake and take a peek.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Hey guys. I was finally able to dig into the issue. Basically it should be an easy fix. My throttle cable is fine. Its my throttle body that is the issue. I cleaned it and am still running into the issue. Which leads me to believe that my set screw has backed off allowing the throttle to close too much and get stuck as this is a new issue. I did clean the throttle body and it did absolutely nothing. And for those that asked I didnt do the bypass mod on the TB. Going to work on it tomorrow since i might finally be able to get a chance to work on it for a few minutes. (been stuck working) This is killing me too because i need to work on my daily as well and now its got a flat. oh well such is life, will post if adjusting the set screw fixes the issue all together. Thank you for the input guys.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Look into vacuum lock. This is likely the issue you are having with the aftermarket throttle body.

Quick Reply: Gas pedal is giving me hell