General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear main Seal repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No i wouldn't he hasn't fixed it yet and since he tore it all down(went further into it than authorized) and now will likely be hitting you with more bills. I would tell him he can either put it together(at his expense) where it can be rolled(towed) away to another shop or he can repair it on his dime.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem man.. You taught yourself a lesson i just pointed it out! Lol

You have one good option right now.. Go talk to a lawyer. Take ten minutes and make cliff notes and go see one. It won't cost you any money just to talk and you can get a lot of good info. You are starting to get into legal things... Ie if you have to pay if he can keep your car for not paying if he has to cover this extra labor.. Etc.. I can tell you what is morally right and wrong all day but legal is completely different.
Even if you just call.... Contact a lawyer. It will pay off if you are one step ahead and know for a fact what is and isn't covered.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Also if i were able i would do absolutely anything possible to get it away from their shop immediately. They seem very dishonest.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Remember, you're in this because they tried to fix an oil leak... Is it wise to let them try to fix a complete engine? Lol

Where are you located again?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update.. I had my lawyer call the guy who is working on it. At first he was defensive but now he is saying he will put the car back together for no charge.. He also said he will not charge me to fix the oil leak.. If the oil leak is gone i will pay him for it.. I am a bigger man than that.... I have already accepted the worst possibly out come.. A blown motor.. I will pick the car up either tomorrow or Friday. If the motor is blown I will discuss with you guys here on this thread what the next course of action should be. If it is indeed blown Its time to starting looking for a good short block and build it back more bad *** than ever. Only thing that sucks is I still have to replace my shocks and struts , and I have an exhaust manifold leak... But those can fixed easily. just more money going into this car.

once I get the car back in my position i will go into more detail.

Last edited by polorico; 01-29-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Update... Motor is done.... I picked the car up and it was knocking bad smelled horrible.. Oil was milky on the dipstick.. The owner of the shop handed me the keys and took off to lunch before i could start the car.... Also my AC didnt work either on the way home.. SES light came on when i got on the high way....

I learned a lesson local LS1 tech forum guys.... I am going to long block it and re build it.

Should I make a thread to air all BS out ? let me know...

Last edited by polorico; 01-31-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

wow. If they put it back together and it's still milky inside i wonder if he even put new headgaskets in it or just slapped it together. I would not drive it at all. If it isn't completely blown it's still fixable... i would probably be in the nut house after something like that
Old 01-31-2014, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

I learned gettin mad and upset wont do nothing at this point. ill win this battle with my mind , and the legal system . Now I am going to get a compression check and go from there. If the motor is blown what is better buying a longblock ? or just getting a complete swap ? warranty vs dropping in one... Also does that affect the 'history' on the cars ? getting rid or swapping the original motor ?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Find out how much money you have and what goals you have... Ie what is an et goal power goal etc you have. Ill then tell you what route id take as far as new motor etc..
Old 01-31-2014, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

the car was always going to be my weekend car. I am a college student. I bought this car with 117 k on the clock all original for 3600 TTL included. It needs strust and shocks and also has a exhaust manifold leak... The AC didn't work on the way home so I am going to assume that is out , and also My passenger window motor is dead.

what is the best and most effiecent way to handle this big project ? also what type of budget would I need to set 3.5 K ,or 5k ?

I would need a long block , SLP shocks set , and bare minimum a new exhaust and manifold .
Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

where are you located again? if they don't have emissions checks just get Longtubes and be done with that. As for struts get some Bilsteins or something. As for the A/C they may have disconnected the lines and that in turn removed the freon in the system or they disconnected/cut the plug coming off the compressor
Old 02-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

I am in Dallas texas. I have started pricing long blocks..

I will make a new thread and give details of the situation and ask for advice on rebuilding the motor.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Call Gas Monkey They love LS's

Quick Reply: Rear main Seal repair