General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear main Seal repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 05:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main Seal repair

I have a 2000 z28 that has 120 K . Recently started leaving oil on the drive way. This began after i did a routine oil change , and had the motor flushed.

My mechanic told me it was the rear main seal that was leaking. Would it be a good idea to invest in a transmission cooler ? I live in North Texas .he quoted me 425 or cheaper if i purchase my own parts.

I am going to take it to my corporate mechanic that has a big rack and get their thoughts about where the leak is coming from.

my question is how much would this cost , and is it something that should be my number 1 priority on my vehicle ? it is my daily driver to college. Also is there anything else that i should go ahead and replace since they have the transmission pulled ?

UPDATE got my rear main seal fixed today....

My mechanic told me the bottom of the motor was covered in oil. He said it took him 3-5 can of break cleaning fluid to clean the bottom off. He told me he drove the car and it did not leak.... He did tell me that it could be leaking from the upper side of the motor. He specifically said valve covers ,or valley cover. What you guys think ? I really don't want to invest more money in chasing down leaking Oil on this car. But if i must I will. 2 other mechanics that i trust told me it was the rear main seal... Could he be trying to over sell me ? or could he just be looking out for a slight possibility that could also be leaking.

Last edited by polorico; 01-21-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I installed my own tranny fluid cooler in about 20 minutes for a total of about $45.00. Coolers are cheap, like $25-$40. Than some line and clamps. $425 is an incredible rip-off.

Now if that $425 includes pulling the tranny, fixing the rear main seal and installing the tranny fluid cooler and then putting the tranny back...and includes all parts and the cooler.....that's not too bad I guess. Not great though. My tranny guy charges me $100.00 to remove and reinstall my tranny any time I need to do other work where the tranny needs to come out. He gets it out in like 30 min. He puts it back in about 45 min. So he charges me fairly. But he's a guy who does a lot of side work for friends and customers he finds.

Rear main seal.....DO IT now. They could get really bad over time. That's also a very very fast and easy fix. Once the tranny is out it akes 20 min to remove the rear main cover, replace the seal and put RTV where its needed. Then put the plate back on.

Removing the tranny is the hard part.....you need a lift.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't count how many times i have pulled and installed my trans on jack stands.. Normal tools only required.
If you have a weekend and a normal 200 piece tool kit you can do this.

If not... 400$ is about right for that. You pay when you can't do it.

Id do rear main... The trans cooler is a good idea but can be done any time.
If you have the money for a converted and or flex plate id do it now.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Id find someone in your area wanting to make some extra cash and knows how to do this.

To replace the rear main.. Install trans cooler.. I wouldn't charge but 200$. And have it done in a day.
No charge for new flex plate for converter since they come off anyway.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
Id find someone in your area wanting to make some extra cash and knows how to do this.

To replace the rear main.. Install trans cooler.. I wouldn't charge but 200$. And have it done in a day.
No charge for new flex plate for converter since they come off anyway.
Man...$100 (LS6427), $200 to pull a trans and replace the rear main!!? You guys are crazy.

I for one don't work for free. Hell, shops charge more labor than that for brake jobs.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Man...$100 (LS6427), $200 to pull a trans and replace the rear main!!? You guys are crazy.

I for one don't work for free. Hell, shops charge more labor than that for brake jobs.
My friend is a tranny guy at a dealership......he's pulled and reinstalled probably 1,000 4L60E trannies.......he does it with his eyes closed in a hurry. He has his own bay and two lifts for side work on weekends. We did my rear main seal on my 427ci in about 2.5 hours.....complete start to finish. He pulled my tranny.....I did my first rear main seal while he went over and worked on another car he had as side work......when I was done he put it back in. I drove away.....$100 + the new seal.

Why rip people off. He makes $100.00 cash for basically 1.2 hours of work.

He does my brakes for $80.00 labor, all 4. I buy the new pads of course. I take the tires off and he does the pad swaps as I put the tires back on. It's so quick it's ridiculous. Why charge more for labor than $20.00 a wheel....it only takes like 10 min each wheel to do brakes. He. Pockets $80.00 cash, I get to be there to make sure its done right...unlike using a strange shop.....and I help a little. Then he moves on to other side work he has. He makes a **** load of money each month....a few thousand extra each month.

This is the same guy that has done my 4L60E tranny rebuilds for 10 years. He charges me $300.00 labor to pull it, rebuild it and put it back. I bring him the parts. He does it in a half day. I've had 3 rebuilds in 10 years behind my 427ci with 500 RWTQ. So the rebuilds are badass........

If I need the lift to just change an 02 sensor, I just go there and do it myself. I throw him a $20.00 for the convenience of the lift.

Friend + Fairness + Car Lift = GOOD STUFF

Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im not in it to get rich. I try to help people out that can't do it on their own for whatever reason.

I can have the trans out in two hours easily on jack stands.
Swapping the rear main out doesn't take 20 minutes...
Putting the trans back in is another two and then bolting everything back together.. With two people it doesn't take 5-6 hours even running into issues.
That's 200$ for less than a days worth of work and helping a fellow enthusiast out.

I don't get paid for working on mine.. I get paid for doing the same kind of stuff helping a car guy out and shooting the ****.. Ill take 200$ for that all day.

Hell if the trans has already been pulled and they left out the hard to reach bell housing bolts and have anything less than a fast 102 pm it that's a breeze. I have to pull my intake since its a 102. I could have mine pulled in an hour on the ground jacking car up and all if i didn't have to spend time messing with the intake.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lemons12
Im not in it to get rich. I try to help people out that can't do it on their own for whatever reason.

I can have the trans out in two hours easily on jack stands.
Swapping the rear main out doesn't take 20 minutes...
Putting the trans back in is another two and then bolting everything back together.. With two people it doesn't take 5-6 hours even running into issues.
That's 200$ for less than a days worth of work and helping a fellow enthusiast out.

I don't get paid for working on mine.. I get paid for doing the same kind of stuff helping a car guy out and shooting the ****.. Ill take 200$ for that all day.

Hell if the trans has already been pulled and they left out the hard to reach bell housing bolts and have anything less than a fast 102 pm it that's a breeze. I have to pull my intake since its a 102. I could have mine pulled in an hour on the ground jacking car up and all if i didn't have to spend time messing with the intake.
Yup....that's how my friend is....helps more than anything.

Hey.....are those LED center brake lights available again....?

Old 01-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

I normally do everything on my own on my vehicle. I dont have a jack nor the time this week to get it done. I start school on monday again so this is a priority for me.

what rear main seal would you guys recommend ? a GM replacement seal ? which is like 20 bucks from the GM direct site. Noob here flex plate ? what is a good one to use and what does it do ?? my car is a a4 .

going in tomorrow at noon to have it lifted up .
Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Any of you guys live near Staten Island. Just in case I need work done on my trans am
Old 01-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

^ thread jack !!!! go to regional forums !

I am going to get the details about the leak tomorrow. If it is indeed the rear main seal I can afford to add a flexplate

what do you guys think of this one ? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...make/chevrolet
Old 01-15-2014, 04:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by polorico
^ thread jack !!!! go to regional forums !

I am going to get the details about the leak tomorrow. If it is indeed the rear main seal I can afford to add a flexplate

what do you guys think of this one ? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...make/chevrolet
Yea.....it's pretty weird it's called a flexplate.......it's a flywheel....lol

No need for it if money is an issue. Why spend money on something that is 100% unneccassary. It will offer zero performance gains.

Might as well get a GM seal if you have time to wait for it, but a Felpro is fine too.

Make sure whoever does the job, they torque the flywheel bolts back on to spec, and they do it like lug nuts go on. And use red Locktite on the bolts.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

What Ls6 said if money and time is an issue don't sweat it.. Im just one of those while Im in there i might as well guy
Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could also be an oil pressure sensor leaking and not the rear main.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

so I went in today and had the car lifted up and checked.

The second opinion was it is indeed a rear main seal that is leaking and needs to be fixed.
He quoted me if i buy my own parts 465 after tax. that comes with a 12 month/12k warranty. My question to you veterans is does that seem like a fair price and warranty ? A few quick questions.

Should I replace my front seal also since I am already getting my rear replaced ?

also could some post a link of the rear main seal assembly with the gasket from a GM parts website ?

let me know what you guys think. thanks again for the help.

I found these two.... What one is the one I need. sorry for the noob questions

http://www.gmpartsnow.com/oem-part/c...ainer/12639250

http://www.gmpartsnow.com/oem-part/c...-seal/89060436

Last edited by polorico; 01-15-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering the work involved its not a bad price really... after this thread though I'll be checking mine since my trans is out for a 4L80 swap
Old 01-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

what link is the correct one that has the gasket ? Also could any one recommend me a tranny cooler since i will not need a flex plate at the moment.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

For a shop... That's not a bad price.. Warranty is nice. Something wrong will show immediately.

If the front seal isn't leaking dont mess with it. Rear seals are common fronts not ao much. If you ever change the udp or a cam swap then so the front. Otherwise if it want broke leave it be.

Go to a parts store or gm dealer.. You can get them there. They should have one that is aluminum with rubber around it.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

lemons12 what do you mean something wrong will show immediately ?

so those links i posted do not include the gasket ? also what is a good transmission cooler that you guys would recommend ?

I can use the money for the flex plate for the tranny cooler . would one from autozone work fine ? also since i am getting the work done what do you guys think about adding a transmission temp guage ?

quick question also for you older heads.

since I will have the tranny pulled do you guys think it would be smart to invest in tempture guagues as well ? I see packages for about 150 that include three separate guages.

Last edited by polorico; 01-15-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

update found a shop in my area that does good work on ls1 , lt1s . I am going to take it in 2morrow.

Quick Reply: Rear main Seal repair