General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wierd engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wierd engine problem

I have this problem with my 2000 t/a ws6. When I stomp on the gas pedal the rpm goes up then the pedal does nothing and it moves up and down with no effect.The motor is still running and idling but there is no reaction on the gas pedal. If I turn the ignition off then re start the car the gas pedal works normally. If I drive the car normally it doesn't do this.It did this for a while than seemed ok and didn't do it for a year.It started to do this again lately.
I changed the throttle position sensor. I thought it might be the traction control doing this, so I changed it out the box and that did nothing.Checked the cables and tried a couple other things and no luck.
I have another pcm but it has a stock tune and I don't know if the car will even run to test it.I have a custom tune because of my cam,heads,headers,etc I AM STUMPED!! Do you guys have any suggestions? has anybody had this problem? I don't want to just take it to somebody and get ripped off.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So when the gas pedal is being pushed full down and then all the way back up......the engine just idles normally......no change in rpm's?

If you are opening and closing that throttle blade the engine has no choice but to increase in rpm......unless you have no fuel going into the cylinders. In that case I would say the Cam Position sensor is failing on you.

How long can you move the gas pedal up and down as its idling with no response....can you do it a lot until you shut the engine off?

Old 02-02-2014, 04:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you race it, it does it.When it happens and you move the pedal up and down with no response and you have to pull over and shut the engine off.Then you re-start the engine and the gas pedal works normally.When it does this it just idles really wierd.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:55 AM
Banned

So when you roll to a stop after the pedal goes dead.....the engine just stays idling? S if you pulled over and stopped the engine is running and idling normal. And if you tried to press the pedal....NOTHING happens until you turn it off and then back on.....?

Only thing that I know of that can stop the injectors from increasing fuel delivery as you open the throttle blade is the Cam Position sensor. And, when you open the throttle without extra fuel being delivered....it should stall.

But a failing Crank Shaft Position sensor can also cause some weird issues like you're having. Try replacing that, it takes 10 minutes. Lower the starter down and it's right there.

If it doesn't fix it return it for a refund.

....the Cam sensor is a BITCH to replace....have to remove the intake.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sometimes when I put the clutch in and rev up the motor(while I am driving) there will be no pedal. Then in about 10 seconds It will start working again. The other day I got in my car at my lunch break and started it and no pedal responce.So I turned off the key and re-started it and it worked fine.It had never done that before.
I looked at my dealer manuals at the crankshaft position sensor removal and it said that you have to do a re-learn procedure when you replace it. Is that true? I have kooks long tube headers on my car,is it more of a hassle to remove the starter because of them? Thanks for your input.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have traction control you may have a problem with it. Did you have it scanned for codes? You will need a tech 2 or similar to scan for chassis codes.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought it might be the traction control about 3 years ago and changed out the control box and that didn't change anything. I changed out the cable spool a day later.I used my friends code reader and found no codes.I assume that the tech 2 would work better.
If the traction control is off it doesn't change anything.Don't you have to have a tech 2 scan tool after you replace the crankshaft position
sensor? I read that you may have to take it to a dealer to do the re-learn,is that true?

Last edited by transwiz; 02-02-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by transwiz
Sometimes when I put the clutch in and rev up the motor(while I am driving) there will be no pedal. Then in about 10 seconds It will start working again. The other day I got in my car at my lunch break and started it and no pedal responce.So I turned off the key and re-started it and it worked fine.It had never done that before.
I looked at my dealer manuals at the crankshaft position sensor removal and it said that you have to do a re-learn procedure when you replace it. Is that true? I have kooks long tube headers on my car,is it more of a hassle to remove the starter because of them? Thanks for your input.
Absolutely not....you pop in the new Crank sensor and go...it will instantly run perfect again...........BUT....if you happen to get a light telling you to do the Crank Relearn it won't cause ANYTHING wrong at all in the way it runs.......but you will have that SES light on. You need a Tech 2 to clear the code, or an OBDII scanner to do the quick Crank Relearn procedure. It takes 10 seconds to do it.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks,I ordered a crankshaft position sensor from amazon. I will install it when it comes in and give it a try.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by transwiz
Thanks,I ordered a crankshaft position sensor from amazon. I will install it when it comes in and give it a try.
should have gotten one locally so if it doesnt fix it you can return it. They're pretty cheap everywhere.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update: I replaced the crankshaft position sensor the other day and the car seems to be ok.I drove it last night and no problem. I am going to have to drive it a little more to verify that it is fixed. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Wierd engine problem