General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help diagnosing an idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkFanatic
OK, here's the latest. I just got done replacing the O2 sensors, and the car runs much better, BUT thats because it never goes in to Closed Loop. It stays open the whole time, even after being at Operating Temp, and after a short drive.

Does anyone know what O2s are in what position? My scanner reads four O2s, 11, 12, 21, and 22. Which are which? The reason I ask is because the rear O2s were tuned out after the long tube install. On the scanner, three of the O2s read pretty steady at .445, while one is around .900 and fluctuates with throttle changes, while the other 3 do not. Could one of the new ones be bad as well? would that cause the car not to go to closed loop?

11 should be driver side front, 12 passenger front, 2x are after the catalytic converter.
so the pcm was "tuned" ? that along with longtubes i would bank on the problem being mostly tune related, there are a lot of setting you can tweak and turn on and off and it's far easier and likely to get things wrong than optimal. and you mention the thing doesn't go into closed loop, doesn't throw any code when the MAF is unplugged which i believe will on an unmodified car. If the PCM was modified i would go back and carefully look at everything that was changed before replacing any other parts.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I just swapped the O2s from side to side, and the problem followed the sensor, so I am thinking one of the new sensors is bad. O2S21 was now the only one showing any voltage movement. FYI, the sensor locations are as follows:

O2S11 - Bank 1, Sensor 1
O2S12 - Bank 1, Sensor 2
O2S21 - Bank 2, Sensor 1
O2S22 - Bank 2, Sensor 2
Old 04-27-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean out the throttle body bore/IAC passages?

edit: 02 sensors can/will definitely cause stumbling, funky idle, etc.

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing an idle issue