General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering leaking but no squeel

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering leaking but no squeel

So my power steering in my 01 ws6 just started leaking. There is no squeel and steering feels fine. Could this possibly just be a bad seal somewhere? Im pretty sure the pump is still good. Is there a seal kit or something like that available? Don't want to go through the trouble of finding the righy size seals individually.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SS_TOR
So my power steering in my 01 ws6 just started leaking. There is no squeel and steering feels fine. Could this possibly just be a bad seal somewhere? Im pretty sure the pump is still good. Is there a seal kit or something like that available? Don't want to go through the trouble of finding the righy size seals individually.
It could be a couple different things but you need to get underneath the car and see where it is visually coming from. Depending on the age and mileage of the car it could be anything from a steering rack seal to pump itself leaking.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

IF it is the rack itself, either the inner/outer, or 'steering box' seals leaking, just replace the WHOLE rack.

I just wish that SOMEONE made an upgraded, tighter ratio, power steering rack for these cars.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Got to take a closer look. Its coming from the rack n pinion. Any recommendations on where to buy a reliable replacement?

Quick Reply: Power steering leaking but no squeel