General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strong Arm hatch support

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Strong Arm hatch support

There are two different hatch lift supports for the 4th gen's. 4860 is for the camaro and firebird base with 144 lb lifting force, 4897 is for the firebird base with spoiler and has 154 lb lifting force (and 14mm longer stroke).

Would the 4897 be too strong for a formula hatch?
Old 07-15-2014, 04:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, Idea, have always wondered tho, back when I still had my base hatch and it's lifts where getting weaker (probably from the added weight of some sound deadener) I thought about trying this, I've got a high-rise now (with the lifts from the car it came off of), one thing I can tell you is on a high-rise hatch, if you remove the wing the lifts will raise it ALL the way open (when you hit the button) and will do it fast enough to smack someone in the head if they don't pay attention and yet you can still shut it.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

I am thinking of going with the stiffer ones just to be on the safe side. I have heard that they may raise the hatch on their own when you hit the button (and I assume it would do so slower that a T/A hatch with the high rise spoiler removed). I personally don't see any damage that would occur with the 10 extra pounds of force.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, based strictly on amount of material, I would say the base hatch would weigh slightly more then the T/A with spoiler removed, as for how much couldn't say.

the only concern, and I don't know if it could even apply to our cars due to the mount location, is if the stronger lifting force causes the hatch to bow at the attachment points and cause the rear glass to come loose, but I think it would take a lot more strength then that to do it.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z-camaro
I am thinking of going with the stiffer ones just to be on the safe side. I have heard that they may raise the hatch on their own when you hit the button (and I assume it would do so slower that a T/A hatch with the high rise spoiler removed). I personally don't see any damage that would occur with the 10 extra pounds of force.
Definitely go with the stiffer ones for your Formula. I just replaced mine on my Z28 and I wish I went with the one's with more lifting force. My hatch just pops up a little when I hit the button and doesn't rise on its own like it should.

I was still pissed about it, until my clear coat failed on my hood

Are cars hatch glass is heavy as ****. Definitely get the lift struts with the extra 10 pounds of force.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TX98Z28
Definitely go with the stiffer ones for your Formula. I just replaced mine on my Z28 and I wish I went with the one's with more lifting force. My hatch just pops up a little when I hit the button and doesn't rise on its own like it should.

I was still pissed about it, until my clear coat failed on my hood

Are cars hatch glass is heavy as ****. Definitely get the lift struts with the extra 10 pounds of force.
from the factory they weren't designed to raise on there own, just to pop up enough to clear the latch, that is there normal operation.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
from the factory they weren't designed to raise on there own, just to pop up enough to clear the latch, that is there normal operation.
Mine used to raise when I hit the button, when I first bought the car. Was nice when my hands were full of grocery bags. Maybe this was something with the 98's that GM fixed with later years and models. One time the hatch got slightly stuck, didn't latch properly, and it opened when I was driving!

Thanks GM for not giving 98's a hatch open dummy light on the gauge cluster!

This was with the stock 98 camaro struts from the factory. When I got new struts not stock Ac Delco's, it lays there just like you explained in your post. So I guess I shouldn't be pissed as this is normal operation. Thank you Daniel for clearing this up for me.

To the OP still get the stronger ones, as long as they lift the hatch to the same height as stock. They should last longer IMO.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
In really warm weather, mine have always slowly self-lifted the hatch. In moderate and cold weather, the hatch just pops up.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Well I installed the 4897's and they seem to work well. They are slightly longer than the stock formula ones, so both of the old ones need to be removed in order to raise the hatch a little more. The hatch does rise by itself, so one needs to make sure it isn't going to hit anything when you release it.

Hope this helps anyone that happens to be looking for new struts.

Quick Reply: Strong Arm hatch support