General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas pedal pushes back HARD when accelerating...and squeal not coming from engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas pedal pushes back HARD when accelerating...and squeal not coming from engine

Hey everyone, I have a 99 trans am, auto.

When I'm accelerating under normal driving, the car seems fine,
when I try to go WOT, it feels like something hits the pedal after a second, stopping me from going any further. Could this be the throttle body or something else?

I also have a squeal that doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine bay. The squeal happens when I'm accelerating but when I take my foot off the gas it goes away. Higher rpms=faster squealing.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure there nothing in the way where the TB is where the wire hooks up on the side a lot of times the hoses that goes to the vavle cover or PVC gets in the way not allowing the TB to open all the way
Old 08-22-2014, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Thanks I checked the throttle body wire...didn't see anything and I'm able to open the throttle body fine by pulling the spring loaded part back. If I pull it all the way back that way, the wire lifts up a little off of the "track" it's in.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going with the floor is stopping you from pushing the throttle any further and the squealing is the back tires.....
Old 08-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Traction control... that's what mine does. The squeal I agree is probably tires spinning.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

A silly question, does your car have traction control?

On the 4th gen the traction control will push the pedal against your foot. We do not have an elec. TB. We have cable with a stepping motor in between. It has a spring coupler. When the TC kicks in it will push against your foot on the pedal.

If it is the TC, then we can try to figure out the squeal.

Pop your hood. If you have the the thing circled in red, you have traction control.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Teching In

@Rampant it does have that. I was actually checking that out last night to see if the wires were loose or anything. My TCS comes on automatically when I start the car so I think that's what it is, thanks!

The squealing is actually coming from the engine bay. Hadn't done it when I was in park yesterday but it did today. Pretty sure it's a pully that I need to replace. Going to check when I do the belt so hopefully that'll resolve the issue.

Thanks everyone for your replies! The community on this forum is awesome and I'm glad to have such a great resource at my fingertips.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

If you get tired of turning the TCS off when you start the car, there is a reverse module that you can buy that plugs in behind the TCS switch and makes the default setting always off. Then if you want it on you just hit the switch to turn it on.

Quick Reply: Gas pedal pushes back HARD when accelerating...and squeal not coming from engine