General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help me choose a battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose a battery

Battery from '09 finally took a dump, 5 years, no too bad, so I need to go get a new one and am looking for recommendations.

Car is a '98 trans am, garaged all the time, driven 1-2 times a month for maybe 20-50 miles each time. I always keep the battery on the maintainer. I'm in South Texas so temps get into the 100's during summer and maybe 20's in winter.

Should I go with something like a AC Delco replacement, auto parts store replacement, or something else?

Is it worth the cash to get a deep cycle, like an Optima Yellow since I don't driver the car often?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I use AC Delco Professional series (the more expensive version from AC Delco).

The current one in my '98 is at 5.5 years and still doing pretty well. I never leave it hooked to a tender, but I do hook it up to a smart charger once every ~4 weeks if I don't drive the car at all. Otherwise, my usage is similar to yours.

I wouldn't really trust any battery past 6-7 years at most, sometimes I replace them at 5. The AC Professionals have always lasted into this range for me, so I've stuck with them.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Teching In

I use the Autozone Duralast Gold. From "online experts" it seems to provide good power and longevity. Plus, it is decently priced and has a great warranty.

On the flipside, Pep Boys occasionally has great online coupons for Optimas.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Given that you are in a warm climate and don't drive it often, I'd recommend using a deep cycle battery, regardless of which brand you choose. It should perform better for your situation. You loose some CCA over a regular battery, but that should be of concern in TX.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Rod

Is it worth the cash to get a deep cycle, like an Optima Yellow since I don't driver the car often?

no. get a regular 'starting' battery, I would not get a deep cycle because you are never going to use it as intended where you are running it down, so it would be a waste of money.

if you don't drive the car much and keep the battery on a good maintainer then i would just buy a cheapo battery from wherever.

my oem delco lasted 5-6 years and it failed because it started leaking through the side terminals... on my workbench over the winter sitting on a float charger. i replaced it with an optima red top and that is still 100%, no side posts on that so there's no way it can leak. that was the reason i chose the optima back then based on my experience, i didn't want another side post battery that was also flooded and could leak.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I use AC Delco Professional series (the more expensive version from AC Delco).

The current one in my '98 is at 5.5 years and still doing pretty well. I never leave it hooked to a tender, but I do hook it up to a smart charger once every ~4 weeks if I don't drive the car at all. Otherwise, my usage is similar to yours.

I wouldn't really trust any battery past 6-7 years at most, sometimes I replace them at 5. The AC Professionals have always lasted into this range for me, so I've stuck with them.
You may be in for a rude awakening when you get a replacement, I've been doing some reading and it looks like AC Delco batteries are no longer manufactured by Delphi so the quality isn't what it used to be.

The majority of "private label" car batteries are made by Johnson Controls, Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Robert Bosch GmbH, Costco, NAPA, O’Reilly/CSK, Interstate Battery
System of America, Pep Boys, Sears, Roebuck & Co. and Wal-Mart stores, just pick one from a store you trust to stand behind it's warranty.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Teching In

I may just go with an el cheapo for now, as 90 percent of it's life is going to be sitting on the maintainer. I can get two for the price of the optima. Unless someone can sway me otherwise.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Fry_
You may be in for a rude awakening when you get a replacement, I've been doing some reading and it looks like AC Delco batteries are no longer manufactured by Delphi so the quality isn't what it used to be.
There are two different levels of warranty for these batteries now. I would question the quality of the cheaper ones, as I put one in a daily driver a couple years ago and it has already starting leaking a bit. On the other hand, I put one of the more expensive ones in my Nova (Group 78, normally used for trucks these days) not too long ago and it's been just as great as the one it replaced.

The higher level AC Delco version should be no worse than premium level batteries from any other retailer.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I stepped all the way up to an Odyssey dry cell battery. These things are the best you can buy for the car.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I stepped all the way up to an Odyssey dry cell battery. These things are the best you can buy for the car.
Same here.

Powerful, will NEVER leak into the coolant reservoir, lasts a long time at full power, and made HERE in the USA with 100% virgin lead.

I went for the Sears DieHard Platinum, since it is the same exact thing as the Odyssey (specs, case, sizes, etc.), just in a different color case, with Die Hard stickers instead of the EnerSys/Odyssey stickers, for A LOT less $$$$.

Sadly, Sears is getting out of these (I guess they did not sell too well for them), so next time (hopefully in 10+ years with the weekly charging I do with the Odyssey specific charger) I buy one it will have to be from Odyssey.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

In for info.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Same here.

Powerful, will NEVER leak into the coolant reservoir, lasts a long time at full power, and made HERE in the USA with 100% virgin lead.

I went for the Sears DieHard Platinum, since it is the same exact thing as the Odyssey (specs, case, sizes, etc.), just in a different color case, with Die Hard stickers instead of the EnerSys/Odyssey stickers, for A LOT less $$$$.

Sadly, Sears is getting out of these (I guess they did not sell too well for them), so next time (hopefully in 10+ years with the weekly charging I do with the Odyssey specific charger) I buy one it will have to be from Odyssey.
You have a link to that specific charger?

And I looked for the Die Hard Platinum. They don't make it anymore. I looked back in May of this year.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Is it a 6 speed ? If so forget about a battery . It adds weight . Just park on a hill every time haha . Pop the clutch and you're good to go .

Only joking . Seriously though would that be good or bad for the car over time ? Push starting it ?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

^ Very bad. The starter applies consistent forces to the engine, which you can't control accurately popping the clutch.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about the lithium batteries? Nobody has chimed in on this thread I've been watching but I am also curious...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...batteries.html
Old 09-20-2014, 05:50 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am always happy with my ACDelco replacements (in all my vehicles). Aside from their reliability and life span, they fit perfectly in our crappy battery trays.

BTW, the Professional line of ACDelco is also referred to as Gold in some applications.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Guitar
What about the lithium batteries? Nobody has chimed in on this thread I've been watching but I am also curious...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...batteries.html
I would consider one in the future IF the prices come down on the FULL POWER/SIZE/STREETABLE versions of these, and their chargers.

I do NOT trust the small, racing versions of ANY battery, since this car is a daily driver, and must start the car even if it has been sitting out overnight in 0*F temps in the winter.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
You have a link to that specific charger?

Amazon.com: Odyssey Battery OMAX-25A-1B Ultimizer Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: Odyssey Battery OMAX-25A-1B Ultimizer Charger: Automotive

The 25 amp is all you need to charge, de-sulfate, and maintain/'float' charge the car Odysseys.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a battery