General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to remove iat harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove iat harness

I know the iat harness plugs into the air lid but where does the other end plug into? I followed to the firewall and lost it from there.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They go into directly into the PCM. the low reference signal also will connect to the HVAC system.

https://gyazo.com/6951d70ca593a61464de7de71b90d4f2
Old 03-07-2016, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

Okay that's why I couldn't find the other end. So it's not something I can unplug. You may know the answer to this.

I need to make my iat harness longer to relocate the sensor. They have extensions you can order but I can't get it here in time. If I solder the same size wire to the existing wire (maybe 2 extra feet) will it hurt the signal in anyway or mess anything up??

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2016, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not something you can unplug without having to remove the pins from the ECU. Soldering wire to the existing wire would actually conduct better than any extension plugging into it would so technically you're better off soldering it but either way neither of which would have enough effect to influence any of the signal going to and from the sensor, so go ahead and extend that cable
Old 03-07-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
Not something you can unplug without having to remove the pins from the ECU. Soldering wire to the existing wire would actually conduct better than any extension plugging into it would so technically you're better off soldering it but either way neither of which would have enough effect to influence any of the signal going to and from the sensor, so go ahead and extend that cable
Awesome! Thank you sir!!!! I feel much better now...
Old 03-08-2016, 07:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You should really do a mechanical splice if you are going to solder, particularly in an engine bay where the wires will be exposed to vibration. Pages 16-19 in GM's Terminal Repair guide show how to do this: http://www.weber.edu/wsuimages/autom...%20Booklet.pdf

In order to use any of these, you also need a really really good crimper.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks i'll check out the link. My plan was just to solder the wires, heat shrink and cover with wire sleeves.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCatfish
Thanks i'll check out the link. My plan was just to solder the wires, heat shrink and cover with wire sleeves.
The problem with that is solder is brittle and can crack. The mechanical solder crimps in the GM repair kit say you can solder after crimping but mine were so tight that the solder wouldn't take between the strands! (So, I just use the mechanical crimps now without solder, usually. I suppose one could also solder the wires first and then crimp later as a reinforcement.)

Quick Reply: How to remove iat harness