Old 06-13-2016, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Coolant Question

Car : 2001 Z28
Motor : Fully rebuilt LQ4 with LS1 heads
Waterpump : Stock LS waterpump, new gaskets

Problem :
Car doesnt overheat, runs good. If I check coolant when warm, shows near top of rad, after car has sat for 2-3 hours, level is maybe 2-3" down into rad. No leaks underneath.

Car is had about 1000km since motor build, Im assuming air is out of system bu now.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on your steam pipe setup, you could still have pockets in the engine/tops of heads. How is yours connected? Have you tried filling the radiator when cold then warming the car up to see what happens?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,222 Likes on 786 Posts

Is your overflow tank empty? Sounds like the rad should pull from the resivoir when it cools to keep it full to the top, then puke some out back into the tank when it gets hot.

In an f body, the coolant reservoir is located under the battery box.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Its in a 01 Z28, at this point the overflow is over the full mark. I suspect the rad cap isnt allowing flow back into rad when cold. I just put a new one on and we'll see.

I have the x pattern factory LS steam pipe style. How would I check for air, how to bleed these?
Old 06-14-2016, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

IMO, if you've got a 4-corner pipe setup and the engine isn't mounted tilted forward(unlikely), then you likely don't have steam pockets in there.

What I did was hold the top water pump--> radiator hose up all the way(connected to water pump; not to rad) and filled through there and had the steam pipe output disconnected. when steam pipe is full, connect it, then continue filling and connect radiator. Then heat cycle and top off. But with all 4 corners hooked up and connected properly, that system is literally designed to evacuate the steam pockets in the tops of the heads. (Do you have this hooked up properly?)

It sounds like you are on the right track trying the cap. Usually the simplest explanation wins. Check the rad-->overflow hose for blockages as well. It could be slightly clogged up or kinked and hot, pressurized coolant could flow out but it would be more of a battle for the vacuum to pull cooler coolant back in.

Last edited by Mercier; 06-14-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Let it run with cap off, coolant comes in (no air) from steam pipe inlet. Let it get hot, no bubbles seen, put cap on, drove it. Letting it cool now, so we will see if it drops again with new cap.

I blew air through line from rad to over full tank, flows good and hear bubbling in tank when I do so, so I assume shes not blocked.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Does the overflow in those vehicles feed into the bottom of the tank, or is it top with a straw going to bottom? If the latter, straw could be broken, cap not sealing, hole in tank, etc. preventing vacuum from sucking coolant in. If it feeds into the bottom it can't really pull anything but coolant until the overflow is empty.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ape Man
Its in a 01 Z28, at this point the overflow is over the full mark. I suspect the rad cap isnt allowing flow back into rad when cold. I just put a new one on and we'll see.

I have the x pattern factory LS steam pipe style. How would I check for air, how to bleed these?
Did you try a new rad cap...?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:10 PM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
Does the overflow in those vehicles feed into the bottom of the tank, or is it top with a straw going to bottom? If the latter, straw could be broken, cap not sealing, hole in tank, etc. preventing vacuum from sucking coolant in. If it feeds into the bottom it can't really pull anything but coolant until the overflow is empty.
I just had similar issue as OP, and the overflow would bubble if I blew through it. Finally decided to rip the tank out and a **** ton of scale came out. **** would settle and block the hose, but if you blew on itbyoudvthink it was free

Quick Reply: Coolant Question