General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to drop transmission with solid motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to drop transmission with solid motor mounts

Hi I have a 02 camaro ss with a t56. I'm trying to do a rear main seal replacement, but I'm running into problems getting my trans to tilt down so I can get to the bell housing bolts. I have solid motor mounts and its proving difficult to work with. I've never worked on a car with motor mounts so any help would be appreciated. I thank you guys for taking time to read this. And if you have any suggestions please help! Thanks again!

Jason
Old 07-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Teching In

No ideas?
Old 07-12-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will need to remove the intake manifold in order to remove the top center bell housing bolt

Also when re installing the bell housing you need to have the top bolts already slid into the bell housing to fit them between the firewall and the trans. If I recall correctly there is not enough room to remove the bolt from the bell housing, but you can loosen it all the way in order to remove the bell housing

Also you will need to buy the "wobble extension set" from autozone to tighten several bolts. Specifically the top bolt from the transmission to the bell housing

It's a complete bitch, one of the most difficult things I've ever done on a car was installing and removing the transmission with solid motor mounts
Old 07-13-2017, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I was having transmission issues with my th400. I cut holes in my floor so I could go through the car to get those top bolts out cause it sucked dropping the trans 5 times in a month. Used a 1" hole saw and cut at a slight angle so the hole didnt go all the way around (imagine cutting a "C" out). I then bent the circle that was left in the center up so i could get to the bolts. When im done i bend it back down and cover it with aluminum tape and put the carpet back. Been like that for 2 years.

Damn sure cuts down on the time it takes to drop the trans for me.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

If this helps...

For the trans to bellhousing bolts, I went to lowes and got two 18" extensions for a 1/2" drive. Those combined with a wobbly joint allow be to reach the top trans bolts with the ratchet sticking up through the shifter hole.

Now I'm not on solid mounts so I can only hope that info is helpful.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Put a jack stand on the front pully/harmonic balancer and jack it up slowly.With the weight of the transmission, it will pull the trans low enough to get the top bell bolts with a wobble socket.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
When I was having transmission issues with my th400. I cut holes in my floor so I could go through the car to get those top bolts out cause it sucked dropping the trans 5 times in a month. Used a 1" hole saw and cut at a slight angle so the hole didnt go all the way around (imagine cutting a "C" out). I then bent the circle that was left in the center up so i could get to the bolts. When im done i bend it back down and cover it with aluminum tape and put the carpet back. Been like that for 2 years.

Damn sure cuts down on the time it takes to drop the trans for me.

I considered that but it would be my luck that I would drill through the interior harness or hit something inside drilling my holes. Didn't feel like pulling the dash either

Last edited by chrysler kid; 07-14-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
I considered that but it would be my luck that I would drill through the interior harness or hit something inside drilling my holes. Didn't feel like pulling the dash either
Before I cut the holes I used about 3.5 feet of extensions and a couple of swivels to get to the top one.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
If this helps...

For the trans to bellhousing bolts, I went to lowes and got two 18" extensions for a 1/2" drive. Those combined with a wobbly joint allow be to reach the top trans bolts with the ratchet sticking up through the shifter hole.

Now I'm not on solid mounts so I can only hope that info is helpful.
^^ This

A bunch of extensions through the shifter hole and a buddy under a car to line you up and you're good to go.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Lower the k member
Old 08-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by M4N14C
^^ This

A bunch of extensions through the shifter hole and a buddy under a car to line you up and you're good to go.
Thanks guys! My dad actually figured it out. I didn't get a chance to get back and see you guys posts. He went through the shifter hole with a bunch of extensions and a mirror and " went fishing".. What crazy is the rear main seal I bought for it feels lose. Like it just fell into the back of the crank. So I have a felpro gasket this time and I'm hoping it'll be a tight fit.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

I have an auto but i usually just unbolt the passenger side motor mount, comes down at an angle but gave me enough clearance to get all bell housing bolts. I have the UMI aluminum mounts.

Quick Reply: How to drop transmission with solid motor mounts