General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gauge cluster reset

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge cluster reset

Hello i have a 1997 chevy camaro v6 3800 series engine 5 speed, i recently replaced my factory oem bulbs in my instrument cluster with leds also replaced the face plate gauges with an aftermarket face plate.
i had to remove the needles on the instrument cluster to put the face plate on and i put the needles back on but i did not mark or take a photo ofvthe placement of the needles before i removed them, i put all the needles back on but none of it is reading correctly. is there a way i can reset my instrument cluster so that all the needles read correctly ?
Old 02-26-2018, 04:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Best you can do is guess with the key etc where they should be OR send it out to be calibrated. Shouldn't be too hard to guess by using the key on engine off to set the OP, RPM , Coolant Temp, Battery. Fill the fuel tank and set it to fill, then drive it and get the speedo dialed in. After you get it right put the clear cover on. Good Luck
Old 02-26-2018, 06:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Speedo: Get a portable GPS Unit - You can calibrate your speedometer this way.
Tach: You should know what your idle RPM is - Set this at idle.
Gas: Fill Tank - Set to full.
Battery: Measure Voltage at Battery with engine ON - Set needle.
Coolant: Get engine up to temperature. Run for 5-10 more minutes - Set needle do the 12 o'clock position.
Oil Pressure: This is is going to be a bit of a guess if you don't know where your needle usually was or have a scanner - Setting to the 10 or 12 o'clock position is an OK guess.

^ An OBD II scanner that will give you these values from the PCM would give you perfect readings.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Speedo: Get a portable GPS Unit - You can calibrate your speedometer this way.
Tach: You should know what your idle RPM is - Set this at idle.
Gas: Fill Tank - Set to full.
Battery: Measure Voltage at Battery with engine ON - Set needle.
Coolant: Get engine up to temperature. Run for 5-10 more minutes - Set needle do the 12 o'clock position.
Oil Pressure: This is is going to be a bit of a guess if you don't know where your needle usually was or have a scanner - Setting to the 10 or 12 o'clock position is an OK guess.

^ An OBD II scanner that will give you these values from the PCM would give you perfect readings.

That's what I was going to suggest. Had a buddy of mine replace all his stepper motors in his silverado and he somehow messed up his needle placement. Pulled up all the PID's and set it, took a few tries with the speedo but nothing too difficult.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:04 PM

Thanks I will give all a try and let you know if any of it works, i just wished it was a simple reset button lol
Old 02-26-2018, 08:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by igenius92
Thanks I will give all a try and let you know if any of it works
If it doesn't work, how will you know?
Old 02-26-2018, 08:39 PM

I would know by the gauges not reaing properly.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:22 AM
Save the manuals!

If you know what the proper reading of the gauges should be, then what's the point of this thread?

We've just given you methods to come up with approximations. So, the needles could be off, and lying to you a bit - but you'd never know. (Unless you have an OBDII scanner, you won't be precise, across the board.)

Using a reliable GPS unit to calibrate the speedo is probably the most critical thing, so that doesn't get you pulled over.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:50 PM

I don' know the proper reading of the gauges Ok?
if I did then would i be asking how to reset my gauges?no!and as far as lying to me you can keep your commensto yourself and let a knowlegleble person answer.

ps work on your attitude, you'll catch more flys with honey.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Getting smart mouthed with a moderator is a good way to earn yourself a vacation from this site. wssix99 is one of the most knowledgeable people on this site and you are one of the newest so I would try what he has suggested and go from there.

BTW, there are advanced procedures to set the gauge needles but they involve special equipment such as a scan tool and a signal generator. For example, the oil pressure gauge should read low, 30psi, and high at resistances of 0 ohms, 40 ohms and 100 ohms respectively. Similarly, the fuel gauge will go from empty at 40 ohms to full at 250 ohms.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-28-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by igenius92
and as far as lying to me
I know you are frustrated with the situation, but please read my comments again and I trust you will find that they weren't malicious.

I was saying the gagues will be lying to you if you take the route of approximations and reinforcing what biketopia was emphasizing. (This may not be a big deal to you - much can be said about the accuracy of the gauges and the sensors in the car to begin with.)

However; if you really want to have the all gagues read "properly", then you have to get a hold of an OBD II scanner that provides the real-time data from the PCM. (As WhiteBird00 also points out, above.)

Otherwise; you are just approximating. (Using the methods we posted above.) If you approximate, you should at least get a device that will allow you to get your speedometer accurate. If you get pulled over, the police won't care if your needles moved.