General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vats delete question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vats delete question

I have a 2000 firebird with one key. I was going to order a new key I went and test the resistor pellet and I got no reading so I check my keys to my camaro and it worked. I have all ready bypassed the camaro so I looked under the dash and I do not see it being bypassed. Is there a way to just delete the vats system?

Thank you
Old 03-11-2018, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the Firebird starts properly, I wouldn't delete anything. However, as far as getting another key goes, I am not sure what you should do. I think if you take your key to the dealer they might be able to match the pellet of the new key to the one in the existing key you have.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by mngoos
Is there a way to just delete the vats system?
There are ways to get around your issue (custom BCM, new BCM, etc.) but all of those will be much more costly than just going to a dealer and paying them to lookup VIN and tell you what the resistor should be.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had an issue (I thought)with my keys last year. I just went to the stealership and bought a new key...it was 60 bucks. I tried bypassing vast but it didn't work. Get a new key and be done
Old 03-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

What process did you use to test the key with? I recently tested mine to do the VATS bypass and had no problem at all reading my key.Typical ohm meter set at 2K and touched the two leads to opposite sides of the pellet in the key. Had to buy a 100 Pc. resistor kit off of amazon to wire into the system. I have yet to do it, but within the next few days I plan on getting it done.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:05 PM
Teching In

If you want to delete the entire VATs system you can try the bypass system from New Rockies Inc. I just ordered one but haven't had a chance to install it yet.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by CFroese
If you want to delete the entire VATs system you can try the bypass system from New Rockies Inc. I just ordered one but haven't had a chance to install it yet.

$280 is a high price to solve a $50 problem.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That New Rockies kit is one of the biggest ripoffs ever offered for f-bodies. Many of the claims on their website are exaggerated and some are just completely false (such as a new BCM requiring dealer programming). If you have a basic understanding of electricity (particularly resistance) and you have a meter and basic tools, you should take advantage of their 30-day guarantee to get your money back. As wssix99 said, $280 is a lot of money to bypass and the $50 he mentioned is enough to buy the parts and a multimeter if you need one. If you already have the meter and tools, you can get the resistors you need for under $10.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:49 AM
Teching In

I agree they are expensive. I wanted to see how they do it and see if the signal it produces can be reproduced to remove the entire VATs system from the BCM. From what I've seen they are the only ones that bypass the system this way, everyone else seems to just do the resistor bypass under the column. Has anyone had the VATs in the BCM fail or is it just issues at the column that cause the issues?
Old 03-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There is no "signal" as such. VATS in the BCM merely provides a pulse width modulated (PWM) 5V ground for the fuel enable signal from the PCM. Their module is just a VATS bypass that bypasses the output rather than the input. You can actually do the same thing with a tune - just tune the PCM to ignore the lack of fuel enable signal ground. But in both cases you still have to manually rewire the starter relay coil ground because that is the other thing that VATS disables in the BCM. With the traditional VATS bypass using resistors, no other changes are necessary.

Of all the VATS issues that have been discussed in these forums, I have never heard of one that was caused by a BCM failure other than one member who fried his BCM while trying to fix the retained accessory power circuit cold solder problem while the BCM was still plugged in. Otherwise, VATS failures have always been related to the input - either the key, the ignition cylinder, or the wiring between there and the BCM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the information WhiteBird. I will be returning the VATs bypass system once it arrives.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mngoos
I have a 2000 firebird with one key. I was going to order a new key I went and test the resistor pellet and I got no reading so I check my keys to my camaro and it worked. I have all ready bypassed the camaro so I looked under the dash and I do not see it being bypassed. Is there a way to just delete the vats system?

Thank you
"No reading" ???

What was your ohmmeter scale set to? Sounds like it was too low. As mentioned, bump the scale up. The key's resistor could be as low as 402 ohms and as high as 11.8 kohms.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Ok so the key that goes to my firebird has no resistance when I use the ohm meter set at 2000k. I am wondering if the previous owner bypassed or deleted it cause he was having issues. I looked under the dash of the firebird for the wires to be cut and the resistor added. (Which is how I bypassed vats on my camaro) so is there a way to bypass/delete the vats system?
Old 03-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Most meters don't have a 2000K range - they usually have 200, 2K, 20K, 200K and 20M ranges. In any case, 2000K would be way too high to get a reading that must be between 402 and 11,800 ohms.

You should use either the 2K range for the lower values or the 20K range for the higher values. Start with the 20K range then you can switch to the 2K range to get more accuracy for an amount less than 1000 ohms (e.g. 402 ohms will show as .4 in the 20K range and 402 when switched to the 2K range).

There is no way to delete VATS since it is in the BCM and you need the BCM for other functions. Bypassing VATS in a Firebird is exactly the same as in a Camaro - same location, same wire colors, and the same 14 possible resistance values.