General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with A/C Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with A/C Please

A few months back my compressor would make a nasty rattling noise while engaged and it gradually started blowing warmer air. After a while the noise stopped and its blowing completely warm air now. Low pressure side was reading 72... ( didn't use a professional gauge just one from one of those fill cans from auto store) Released some pressure and got it down to 35 but it crept back up to 55 after a few minutes. I can visually see the compressor working but no cold air what so ever. I believe the compressor is shot based on some people I've spoken with, but I wanted to confirm before I spend the money on replacing.

Assuming its the compressor though I have a few questions:

1. Flushing: Is it totally required given I'm replacing the compressor, drier and orifice? If it is, before or after I replace the parts?
2. Condenser: I was ordering the compressor kit from RockAuto and they said that the condenser should be ordered as well. How accurate is that? Totally necessary? It stated that because they say it cant be flushed? Accurate or not? if it cant be then can I still flush the rest of the system without issue?

Any help would be appreciated as I need to get this taken care of before the Georgia heat turns on!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My car did same. Compressor was toast. New compressor drier and orfice tube so everything is warranted blows ice cold now
Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 PM
Teching In

What about the condenser? Not necessary? And the flush? My only concern is if theres crap in there and I replace these parts will the new ones be prone to damage if theres crap in there? Or will that stuff get pulled out when I vacuum the system before charging?
Old 03-16-2018, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save yourself the headache an get as much new as possible. If you have the sludge in there they make a few products to clean the lines out with.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Teching In

OK so I've made the decision to just go ahead and order the compressor, drier, orifice tube, condenser as well as some system flush. my only question is regarding the flush. Do I flush the system, before or after the new parts are replaced? Any specifics would be helpful.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Flush any thing you are reusing before you put on the new parts. Run air through the lines make sure they are very clean after you push the cleaner through. Also I would take it to a shop an have them vac an fill the system. The auto part store bottle method is only good to top off your ac. Your probably out of oil in your system as well.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Perfect. That's exactly what im looking for and will def take it to someone to vac and refill.

Thanks for the help. I'll post back when done!
Old 03-21-2018, 12:24 PM
Teching In

OK update.... Pulled the compressor, condenser and drier from the car. Now here's the issue. The amount of oil to add.... My Haynes manual says add to the compressor what I poured out of the old one, add one ounce for the drier and one ounce for the condenser... ok fine. According to some other sites its 9 ounces total in system and 60% should be in compressor, which is roughly 5.4 ounces. Ok fine... but does that include the evaporator as well? I didn't replace it nor did I flush anything because I'm using mostly all new parts. ( I did however blow out all the lines with my shop air) So I guess I will add 5.4 ounces to the new compressor, one to the drier and one to the condenser? That's only 7.4 ounces, where does the rest go? Also, the compressor came with 7 ounces already. Should I simply just leave that alone, add one to the drier and one to the condenser, have 9 ounces like I should and just leave it alone?

Final question. The new compressor came filled with PAG 46, but all I've read says to use PAG 150. Should I just go with the PAG 46 that's in there (based on the manufacturer of the compressor filling it with that type) or drain the compressor and use PAG 150?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

When you get the AC charged an vacuum tested. The machine they use can put in the correct amount of oil. If it can’t your at the wrong shop. Put it all together make sure to lube your o rings when assembling with what ever AC oil you have. Your over thinking this.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Teching In

I may be overthinking it, but Im not gonna leave the system dry and take it somewhere and assume its right. I'd like to know for sure. So any idea specifically?

Also, what about the oil type? Is 46 ok to use or does it have to be 150?
Old 03-21-2018, 06:17 PM
Teching In

And I spoke with a guy at a local shop who sad that the machine would measure how much oil was taken out and add that amount back in. Im starting with no oil.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a little late to the game, but some modern(ish) condensers have such narrow channels (thinner than a dime) that I question whether a flush will actually clean crap and metal shavings out of it.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

If the compressor came with pag 46 it’s probably designed to use that. Why it would come with the wrong oil in it wouldn’t make sense. The compressor has oil in it. An the rest of the system is dry have the shop add the rest of the required oil to the system. PAG 46 is the most common oil used.